SecuriCode Keyless Question?

mrmims

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT
Hi!

New 2014 Explorer XLT owner here. Really excited about my new purchase.

Someone told me (I am sure it is not true, but I am here to ask) that there are only a set number of SecuriCode door codes for Ford cars. If a thief knew 1 code, they could walk from Ford to Ford trying their one code until they found a car that matched.

Any truth to this or am I really gullible?

Thank you for any and all advice!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome. Are you talking about the keyless entry code?.

Good luck with your new Ex and welcome. There are probably at the least thousands of factory set codes. What are the odds of a very patient thief getting lucky? You could also re-set the code to one of your choice.

Good luck with your new Ex and welcome. There are probably at the least thousands of factory set codes. What are the odds of a very patient thief getting lucky? You could also re-set the code to one of your choice.

1 in 3125.

There maybe digits of 0-9 but only 5 buttons. 5 choices and 5 digits means 5^5=3125 combinations.

Also there is this:

Anti-Scan Feature
The keypad will go into an anti-scan mode if you enter the wrong code seven times (35 consecutive button presses). This mode disables the keypad for one minute, and the keypad lamp will flash.

The anti-scan feature will turn off after:

One minute of keypad inactivity
Pressing the unlock button on the remote control
Switching the ignition on
Unlocking your vehicle using intelligent access

The old system like 95-2001 you could actually brute force it. One guy got a module but didn't know the factory key so he hooked up a controller to each pin and had the controller run every combination until it detected the unlock signal to the relays.

1 in 3125.

There maybe digits of 0-9 but only 5 buttons. 5 choices and 5 digits means 5^5=3125 combinations.

Also there is this:

Anti-Scan Feature
The keypad will go into an anti-scan mode if you enter the wrong code seven times (35 consecutive button presses). This mode disables the keypad for one minute, and the keypad lamp will flash.

The anti-scan feature will turn off after:

One minute of keypad inactivity
Pressing the unlock button on the remote control
Switching the ignition on
Unlocking your vehicle using intelligent access

The old system like 95-2001 you could actually brute force it. One guy got a module but didn't know the factory key so he hooked up a controller to each pin and had the controller run every combination until it detected the unlock signal to the relays.

My math(old school) says there's 100,000 choices, 10 to the fifth power.

My math(old school) says there's 100,000 choices, 10 to the fifth power.

Yes, but each button is for 2 numbers. So the code 13579 has the same button presses as 24680. Since 1-2, 3,4,5-6,7-8, and 9-0 are shared buttons.

So if you are given a code there are 32 total codes that share the same button presses. 2^5=32 because each button has a choice of two numbers.

So for every 32 different codes there is only one sequence of button presses. So take your 100,000 and divide by 32 and you have 3125 button sequences.

Its easier to remember a code using 0-9 numbers vs 1-5. And cheaper to make a 5 button key pad vs 10.

Oops my bad. Forgot the double numbers on buttons.

Hi!

New 2014 Explorer XLT owner here. Really excited about my new purchase.

Someone told me (I am sure it is not true, but I am here to ask) that there are only a set number of SecuriCode door codes for Ford cars. If a thief knew 1 code, they could walk from Ford to Ford trying their one code until they found a car that matched.

Any truth to this or am I really gullible?

Thank you for any and all advice!
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:

I don't think it's anything to be concern with whether it is the factory set code or your own. I've always left it on the factory code myself. The worst thing that could happen is that they gain entry to the vehicle. They still shouldn't be able to start it.

Peter

Shelton is all over it.

TL:DR version

you could - the system times out after so many wrong attempts - it would take a theif significant time, or he'd be very luck.

Also IIRC - when it times out the horn beeps. so it will get attention when tested

Back