1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Seeking Experience/Knowledge - Personal Use Color Laser Printers

Discussion in 'Exploring Computers!!' started by Gimp, December 8, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Gimp

Gimp Active Member

City, State:
      The Beach
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2013 F150 XLT SuperCrew
      My high-school age daughter has been using my old HP 6L monochrome laser printer most of the time and an inkjet printer for when she needs color. It looks like the 6L is dying a slow death. Darned thing should have lasted more than 8 years under hard use, don't you think? ;)

I was thinking about getting her a new monochrome laser that would be faster and more powerful than the old 6L and cost less than it originally did. But now, I think I've decided that I should get her a low-usage color laser.

I'm not looking for refurb. I want something that's dependable and not toner hungry. I don't want to spend a fortune,either.

She prints between 1,000 and 2,000 pages per month, mostly black/white.
      It doesn't need networking capabilities.
      It doesn't need auto duplexing for two-sided printing.
      She has USB 2.0 ports available on her computer.

Two models I've looked at online at CDW are the Oki C5100n and the HP Laserjet 2550L. The Oki is $100 cheaper but the toner cartridges are more expensive. Aside from the "starter cartridges", the toner cartridges of the two models yield about the same output. The HP uses only 17 watts in sleep mode and the Oki, I don't know what at-rest power consumption is. The local Office Depot stocks the b/w and color toner cartridges for both of the models so toner availability shouldn't be a problem.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these models or know anything about their quality and dependability? I appreciate any input.

Thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Howard

Howard Moderator Elite Explorer Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Milton Keynes
      1998 SOHC UK SPEC
      I've just got a HP2550Ln and the quality is great. A very nice printer. I think 8 years is not bad for a small printer. :D

4. Chew_12

Chew_12 Working

City, State:
      Chandler, AZ
      '93 XLT
      HP's are very reliable. I would stick with them.

5. Gimp

Gimp Active Member

City, State:
      The Beach
      2013 F150 XLT SuperCrew
      Yeh, but aren't they supposed to last forever? :D

BTW, prices have come down so much that - as a comparison - when I purchased that 6L printer that prints an at amazing speed of 6 PPM, it was $400 for the printer, and then I paid an extra $200 to up the printer memory from the 1 MB that came with it to the max of 9 MB. And, that was purchasing the printer memory from Crucial because the most memory available in the HP-brand memory upgrade for the 6Lwas $200 for only an additional 4 MB.

6. Howard

Howard Moderator Elite Explorer Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Milton Keynes
      1998 SOHC UK SPEC
      The supplied toners do the following page counts (and yes it does count them) 1,700 for the colour and 5,000 for the black. You have to replace the drum at 8,000 pages as well. It even tracks the serial number of the toners. :D

7. Gimp

Gimp Active Member

City, State:
      The Beach
      2013 F150 XLT SuperCrew
      Thanks for the input and thank you, Howard, for sharing personal user experience with the HP 2550 printer.

For a while, I thought about spending a couple hundred more and going with a higher-usage printer (thinking that maybe it would last longer) but, rather than wait until the weekend, I went ahead (Southern English term) and ordered one from HP Shopping.

I couldn't find any better deal anywhere else on the printer (in a new) and I ordered it with four high-capacity toner cartridge replacements, too. The four toner cartridges cost almost as much as the printer.

If anyone else is thinking about a similar printer, this is the cost: 2550L Printer (with starter toner cartridges), 6' USB 2.0 cable, and extras of one 5000-yield black and three 5000-yield high-capacity color cartridges totaled $904.

Office Depot would have shipped free, but they would have charged tax. CDW wouldn't have charged tax but they would have charged to ship. HP Shopping didn't charge tax, offered free shipping on that item, and added a free 200-count pack of laser photo paper. HP's shipping warehouse on these items is near the Memphis airport (so they told me), which is where the FedEx hub is. Even though it's only supposed to be coming ground with the free ship offer, they told me that I could have it by tomorrow but, if not then, then by Monday.

Once we get it, get it installed, and get some use out of it, I'll post a performance review.

Thanks for the input.