Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Serious help needed asap

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by 1badnevergo, July 28, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. 1badnevergo

1badnevergo New Member

City, State:
      Gulfport, Ms
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '92 Mazda Navajo Lx 4.0
      I have a 92 mazda navajo 5spd the problem I am having is after I replaced the starter now the truck is revving nome stop around 3000 rpms I disconnected the mass air flow sensor and it,stopped reving but runs erradically I replaced the mass air flow sensor and no change I cleanded the iac no change ive checked for vacume leaks and found none with a can of carb cleaner if I discomnect the tps the vehicle revs with or with out,the maf connectec any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

i forgot to add the fact that the engine lobes with the mafdisconnected. and that my brake pedal gets extremley hard at times during drivability, the vehicle is stopping fine it just takes excessive force to stop the truck. thanks again

Last edited: July 29, 2011
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. SwaintaN

SwaintaN Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Carey, Ohio (Georgia Grown)
      93 XLT
      reset your ecm first, also tb could be getting stuck open, spray it with pb blaster or lube

4. 1badnevergo

1badnevergo New Member

City, State:
      Gulfport, Ms
      '92 Mazda Navajo Lx 4.0
      Dont knowhow to reset the ecm. As far as the tb I cleaned it today. The truck is now revvig around 2000 rpm when I downshift and the maf disconnected. Also if it helps the truck is surging slightly. As far as basics go I disconected the battery, ive cleaned the tb, ran injector cleaner through it. Checked the vacume lines I could get to fof leaks with a can of tb cleaner, new airfilter, used duct tape to cover any holes in the breather, replaced the entire maf, cleaned the iac, checked the intake for leaks and I still cant figure it out. Also when I let it rev and disconnect the iac nothing happens, wheni do the same with the tp it revs even higher

5. gmanpaint

gmanpaint Back in 5 minutes Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      STL MO
      Modified 95 XLT
      After a brief discussion in the chat room......the census thinks you have a vac leak at the brake booster. Check the line from it to the tree.

6. SwaintaN

SwaintaN Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Carey, Ohio (Georgia Grown)
      93 XLT
      might be the spring on the tb, spray it, it sometimes will stick open a little making higher rpm at all times

7. 1badnevergo

1badnevergo New Member

City, State:
      Gulfport, Ms
      '92 Mazda Navajo Lx 4.0
      Update: checked the booster at the tree no change however when I disconnected the brake booster line and the cruise control hose at the tree, if I leave these hoses open it drops to 1200 rpms. Ive cleaned the tb as well as the iac, the maf is brandnew if I disconnet the tps it revs higher than before. When I start it with the maf disconnected it idles normal but surges if I give it a little gas on the pedal it surges worse sometimes jumping to 3 grand then falling to almost 0. It sondslike it has an exhaust leak and has a wet sulfar smell coming from the exhaust.
      Thanks for any advice in advance...

8. Roadrunner777

Roadrunner777 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Bemidji, MN
      94 4x4 Sport 88k
      1. Reconnect everything you have taken apart. Every hose should have a place, every place should have a hose. These systems interact via the computer and you will chase yourself silly trying to disconnect devices as a diagnostic method.

2. Reset the ECM: Disconnect the battery for 30 minutes, reconnect, and drive normally (as normal as you can) for 20 minutes.

3. See if check engine light is on. If so, read the codes and post here.
      If the check engine light is not on, then get a fuel pressure gauge and test pressure at key on, then engine running. Post those values here. The procedure for fuel pressure test is given at the link at the end of this post.

4. You state this began after changing the starter. Is that all you worked on at that time? Was there anything along the way you saw or did? Is it possible, while working on the starter that you might have flattened the fuel return line?