1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

serious issues

Discussion in 'Elite Explorer 911!' started by toddious, December 25, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. toddious

toddious Well-Known Member

City, State:
      winter park, FL
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1996 Limited 4x4
      so i did my 3" BL the other day, which actually went pretty smooth. in the 24 hours that followed though, i started noticing this on and off sound coming from between my steering wheel, and the steering column. it sounded like plastic pieces rubbing together, and it would get worse when you turned the wheel sharply. well, the noise went away, but something obviously happened inside my steering wheel, because my air bag light came on, and all controls on the steering wheel (cruise control buttons, and the horn) all stopped working. do you think something happened because of the new angle of the steering wheel? i guess it could be unrelated. possibly a bad connection inside the steering wheel? it's weird, because even the lights for the cruise buttons don't work anymore. am i gonna have to have the steering wheel pulled? any ideas? thanks, todd.

edit: and should i pull the fuse for the airbag? don't want it to blow up in my face while i'm driving!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. bitchinexplorer

bitchinexplorer Active Member

City, State:
      Texas
      91 XLT
      i would check the wires.

4. V8BoatBuilder

V8BoatBuilder Transplanted Bostonian

City, State:
      East Brunswick, NJ
      97 Mountaineer V8 4x4
      1) I would pull the airbag fuse, when the light is on, the system defaults to "not inflating," but who wants to take that chance?

2) For all your steering wheel related buttons to give out, it would lead me to suspect your "clockspring" was damaged. Do a search for it on here. Basically, it allows all electrical connections to pass from the steering column to the rotating wheel.

5. glfredrick

glfredrick Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Louisville, Kentucky
      86-98 Ranger STX
      I've also found that the different angle on the steering can affect some things - my rag joint went away... An easily fixed issue, but one that could cause some safety issues.

I'd also check the lower bearing to make sure that it isn't bad - and allowing the steering shaft to take a radical new angle - and bugger up the wires - clock spring...

6. Eneurb

Eneurb Active Member

City, State:
      Ajax, Ontario, Canada
      1998 Limited
      When you had the steering shaft off, did the steering wheel turn?? If so you may have reinstalled it with out centering the clockspring, if that's the case, you'll have to replace it.

7. toddious

City, State:
      winter park, FL
      1996 Limited 4x4
      we made sure the wheel was centered before we installed in the extension, but i think that the clockspring is still the problem. seems from what i've read that when you have cruise control, air bag, and horn all go out simultaneously that it is the clockspring. any idea how much i should expect to have it replaced? thanks, todd.

8. Blee1099

Blee1099 Evil Asian EF Vendor Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Elkridge, MD
      its more than likely your clockspring.. Your looking atleast $80 for one thru your local Ford dealer or thru Ford Parts Network. You can try your luck and try to find one at a junk yard if the airbag is still intact but you'll be lucky if you can find one.

9. toddious

City, State:
      winter park, FL
      1996 Limited 4x4
      anyone junking out an ex who wants to sell me their clockspring? i'm gonna post something in the fs/wanted board. thanks everyone for the help figuring out the problem. todd.