Serious Plans | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Serious Plans

Shotguns2

Reaction score
City, State
Coal City, IL
OK my 91 X sport finally went down (piston rings) forcing me to buy another mode of transportation
(91 f-250). I've always wanted to beef the 'ol Explorer up to a state of bad assness and i think nows the time to start.
My drive train and suspension plans are to rebuild the 4.0 by boring it out .060, hi compresion pistons, edelbrock throtle body, edelbrock headers, swaping axles for a solid dana 35 front and Ford 9" in the rear (these axles are off of a '78 F-150 which are 8" longer then X axles), ARB air lockers, 6" lift leaf springs all around with 3" lift blocks and 2" custum shackles, and swapping t-case for manual kind (undedermined what one to go with yet).
I just wanted to know what anyone would think of my plans and if you had any feed back it would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah I would ditch the idea for lift blocks or shackles. They're both poor ways to lift a vehicle and can be dangerous, especially in the front.

Also, the F-150 had a D35? Are you sure? I think it's a D44.

Also for the engine buildup, you need to add a cam at the same time you do all that. A cam is where the true power gains lie in the 4.0.

78 F150 is a D44 axle. Coil sprung. Why would you want to make it leaf springs? Counter procuctive and more work.

Has the ears for the radius arms cast into the housing so relocating them further in for better angle is a LOT of work.

NEVER and I mean NEVER run blocks up front. It is illegal in every state.

Swap in either a BW1354 manual or an Atlas 2. Only way to go.

If you have any quesions, ask away. I've done a SAS on my Explorer and I can help you out.

CoryL
what would be the easiest and cheapest way to do the front suspension then with a solid axle? Is there a way I can do it with the D44?

You should do the axle swap with a '76 or '77 Bronco. That way the axles are pretty much the same size, and you won't have to cut them down and weaken them.

Cutting down an axle doesn't weaken it if done correctly.

You can run full width axles if you want so long as you swap in a rear axle to match the front in width.

I replied to your PM.

Cutting down an axle doesn't weaken it if done correctly.

Hey cool. You learn something new everyday.:D

Doing a swap from a EB would a lot easier though.

SEARCH for D44 conversion, solid axle swap, etc....

Also the 4.0L doesnt like to be bored out that big, not if you want it to run for a long time....stay with .030....

If you want to build your 91 OHV 4.0L get Sven Pruett's book from Amazon.com, "How to build and modify Ford 60 degree V 6 engines" some of the info is outdated, but this is the bible for your buildup.........

Hey, thanks for the help i appreciate it, If i'm gonna get this done I wanna do it right

one reason I am trying to find a good way to put the D44 front and Ford 9" in is because they are longer then what the Explorer has now

Back