1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Serious Question on a possible life altering issue

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by MyExpWork, December 8, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. MyExpWork

MyExpWork Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Camarillo, CA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1991 4-door 4X4 XLT
      Background:

Your grandmonther was born with a mild, yet noticable birth defect. Your uncle had it, even more severe than your grandmother. You have the same problem as your grandmother.

You're married. You and your wife want kids. The doctor has given you a 50/50 chance that your child will be affected.

Question:

What would you do?

My thoughts:

As bad as it is to have this, how could I in good conscience knowingly pass this along to my son or daughter? Then, I would have to explain the problem to everyone around me. Friends, co-workes, family, etc.

I feel that I would be knowingly negatively affecting my child. What parent would do that??? I have told my wife that I will not have kids unless this particular thing can be ruled out. Further, I told her that I am more afraid of the child being born with "my problem" vs. another birth disorder (which could be much worse) because of the reflection it would have on me.

So, there are other options:

1. Adoption
      2. Sperm donor (anonomys)
      3. No kids

We are not crazy about any of these options. We want kids. We want our own kids. I told my wife I may accept #2.

What are your thoughts or opinions? I don't want "good luck" or "sorry to hear about that", just your straight thoughts and/or opinions.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. spindlecone

spindlecone B

City, State:
      San Jose, Calif
      2003 sport trac
    4. rfuree11

rfuree11 Official Bikini Inspector

City, State:
      Boston
      07 WRX Limited
      Is the defect noticeable to others?
      Is it painful?
      Can it cause complications to one's health or is it just a surface problem?
      If it was noticeable, did it cause ridicule?

If it were me, i would have the child anyway, and put it in God's hands, so long as the child didn't have to suffer if he/she did get the defect.

5. TSTONE

TSTONE Giddy up! Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Oakland County, MI
      97 Mountaineer
      My wife and I chose to not have kids do to a similar situation, it IS a very tough choice to make. In our case it was a matter of it had the potential to be a physical ailment - quality of life issue, had it been a cosmetic issue I think we would have chosen differently.

6. CodePoet

CodePoet Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Indianapolis, Indiana
      1993 XLT
      I am adopted...the two people who adopted me ARE my parents and I am THEIR son, no question. I understand wanting your own children...but adoption is a great option in my opinion.

7. Lifted95X

Lifted95X The Xplorer U Luv to H8

City, State:
      EASTPOINTE, MI
      03 4.6 Mounty
      I guess it all depends on the issue at hand. I agree...adoption is a great option, but if it is semi minor, and you are able to have your own kids, then i think you should go that route. There are many people out there that cannot have kids at all that wait forever to adopt a child.

8. hiridin

hiridin Active Member

City, State:
      tx
      1998 ford explorer 4x4
      withdrawl my answer sorry

Last edited: December 8, 2004
    9. BBQ_HotDogs

BBQ_HotDogs A Man Without Wheels

City, State:
      Houston, Texas
      98 Eddie Bauer (R.I.P.)
      There is no way I could give you an honest open hearted opinion on this without knowing exactly what we are talking about. Would you like to open up some and discuss the issue more?

10. Positive Vibes

Positive Vibes Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Santa Cruz, Ca
      '94 XLT
      I agree with BBQ, I can't give a good answer cause I don't have all the facts.

11. MyExpWork

City, State:
      Camarillo, CA
      1991 4-door 4X4 XLT

Lets just say it has to do with your eyes and vision, or lack thereof.

12. hiridin

hiridin Active Member

City, State:
      tx
      1998 ford explorer 4x4
      i withdrawl my answer

Last edited: December 8, 2004
    13. Positive Vibes

City, State:
      Santa Cruz, Ca
      '94 XLT
      I'm still not clear and I don't mean to pry. So your child may need glasses? Be born blind?

14. MyExpWork

City, State:
      Camarillo, CA
      1991 4-door 4X4 XLT

Both potentially. Not worried about the glasses issue though.

Worried about the blind issue... :(

15. Positive Vibes

City, State:
      Santa Cruz, Ca
      '94 XLT
      Thats a tough one. I'm gonna think about it for a little while.

16. dreamr

dreamr Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Lynnwood WA
      99 XL / 4x4 / 4.0 ohv
      Adopt a child.

Firstly there are many children in the adoption system in need of a family. Yes families wait years, but it is because they are often waitng for a specific set of criteria to be met, as well as the entire legal process surrounding adoption is a envolved and lengthy process. I was adopted and have a great relationship with my "adopted" parents.

Secondly, so many more children are born each year with disabilities, and the number is increasing. If you know that you are likely to pass a disability which will require special life circumstances, don't to it. There are already way to many children in the system to be helped. Trust me, I work closely with the Washington State Division of Developmental Disabilities, and this is true of physical as well as developmental disabilities. I realize that you would be devoted parents or you wouldn't be considering this, however imagine the difficulty of learning your world without the benefit of a sound mind or body. Yes, many people overcome their disabilities. I have many, many case examples I use for training purposes, but it was not easy, and many will admit that they would have rather died at some points than go on. Why create a life that may prove to be miserable for it's holder.

Thirdly there are the financial ramifications of having a child with a disability. Medical care in vast amounts is really a rule of thumb with any child with a disability, and I am sure that you would consider every option of helping your child. This is all extremely expensive. Sure the state or federal government can help with that, but they already have more people in the system than can possibly recieve services or aid. Why add to that problem when you know that there is a likely hood of doing so? A friends daughter was born 6 weeks early and had some serious concerns with her lungs which took over 4 years to clear up. They recieve state aid and still have over $500,000 in outstanding medical bills. I was lucky and already had my girlfriend registered with the state system before she had our daughter. She was 11 weeks pre mature and had to spend over a month in ICU. There were no complications at all, and I have 300,000 in hospital bills. Luckily they were mostly paid by the state and private insurance. There was still a good chunk out of my pocket however.

Sorry if I come across as blunt or rude. I do not intend to. This is just a topic I feel strongly about, and have dealt with 1st hand for years. True I see it from the perspective of a state contracted residential support manager, not a hopeful parent. But I hope you can see the validity of these points, and not take offense to my view.

17. MyExpWork

City, State:
      Camarillo, CA
      1991 4-door 4X4 XLT
      Not taken as rude or blunt. In fact you shed light on things that I hadn't thought of.

Thank-you...

18. Critical_Level2

Critical_Level2 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Ridley Park, PA
      1999 XLS R.I.P.
      Same here, adoption all the way.

19. celly

celly disturber of the peace Elite Explorer

City, State:
      calgary
      99 eb 5.0 awd
      I'd say adoption too. I have a TON of respect for people who adopt and give kids a chance at a healthy home environment. I have two friends that couldn't have kids no matter how hard they tried. They adopted a beautiful Guatemalan girl and she's an amazing kid. The hubby was skeptical about adoption at first but you should see him now. He loves that little girl so much.

Someone else in this thread mentioned that they are adopted and that he is their SON and they are his PARENTS. I have a cousin I didn't know I had until 10 years ago. My aunt gave him away when he was born. She was too young, too crazy and not fit to be a mom when she gave him up. He tracked her down through my brothers and I (via the Internet). We thought it was a cruel joke at first. Anyhow, we chatted about the subject., how much he loved his parents (adopted parents) and how much they loved him. Well, my aunt had a chance to meet her son, and she was hesitant at first. She decided to meet him and they are very close now. The great thing is, he feels he has 3 parents now (not sure where his biological dad fits in). But his "real" parents in his eyes are the ones that adopted him.

Kids rule. My wife and I just had a baby boy. If you're concerned about the health issue then definitely adopt. You're not settling for "second best" by doing so.

Good luck with whatever you decide. It will be the right decision.

20. mctoy

mctoy Active Member

My wife and I had similar issues, but more along the 'death of mother/child lines'. We chose to wait, (Birth control can be very effective! 26+ years) and adopt later in life after we had gotten more established-money, home etc. Before too long, we were in our 40's and decided to just not have kids. Adoption is still an option for us. Niether of us feel 'left out' or 'un-fulfilled' in any way. Probably the only negative that I personally have ever felt is when someone who had an "oops" baby acts condescending to us as tho' we are not as 'responsible' or 'mature ' as them....I feel that our decision is one that shows far more maturity and responsibility than any unplanned pregnancy. Hope I dont step on any toes! Certainly dont mean to, just tellin' it like I see it. Adoption is a wonderful thing! Especially if you would consider an older (Relative term) child who has no-one. Good luck to you both on your decision.
      MCTOY

21. Iowa Hick

Iowa Hick Active Member

City, State:
      Bloomfield, IA
      1995 Eddie Bauer
      That is a very tough call to make, the only advice I can give is that in my opinion it would be better to choose adoption over sperm donation. To me personally there are a few ethical questions about sperm donation.

22. celly

celly disturber of the peace Elite Explorer

City, State:
      calgary
      99 eb 5.0 awd
      You've got the right attititude. Too many people have kids that don't really want to be parents and in many cases, the kid will suffer. My wife and I thought seriously about not having kids. We were both 39 when we got married (first time for both), and we pretty much enjoyed our "freedom", hitting the mountains every weekend for mountainbiking or XC skiing. Neither of us saw ourselves as parents. We finally decided to do the deed anyhow, and were blessed with an amazing little boy 7 weeks ago. We wanted that little guy so badly when all was said and done, even more so when at 12 weeks the doctors told us we'd probably not make it full term because of a complication. Luckily it reversed itself. Best thing that ever happened to me, but it took a lot of years to come to that conclusion. ;)

Luckily, we never got any grief from friends or family about kids.

23. srcoptdc

srcoptdc New Member

City, State:
      sacramento ca
      '02 XLT
      a good friend of mine had the same dilemna, but his genes passed on a potential life-threatening condition, so having his own kids was not an option. They adopted 2 beautiful kids from Korea, they are now a complete family and couldn't be happier.

speaking for myself, we wanted kids as well, but my wife has severe endometriosis. So we adopted too. My son is 8 now and the only time i remember that he is adopted is when the issue comes up, like now. but he is OUR son and i try to be the best dad i can for him. we (and our entire extended family) love him as our "own." having kids was the best decision we made; adoption or otherwise and we do not regret it whatsoever. having a family changed our lives for the best, hopefully for our son too.

these are just my humble opinions and I very much hope that whatever you decide is the right decision for you, your wife and your situation.

24. Nate1

Nate1 All 4 wheels locked

City, State:
      Gainesville/Tampa, FL
      '96 FZJ-80
      I have always though about it this way... if my parents were waiting to tell me I was adopted for some reason, and told me tomorrow, the only possible difference it would make is that it would make me absolutely sure I was wanted.

Adopted children are not accidents, they are secure in knowing that they have two parents that love them and actively pursued bringing them into their family, which clearly means they are a wanted and welcome addition. God only knows how many babies cannot claim that as true for themselves.

Personally, I would spring for adoption.

25. chaos58503

chaos58503 New Member

City, State:
      Bismarck, North Dakota( The Cold State!)
      2002 Eddie Bauer
      Have your own child! If it is not life threatening of course! But, there will be nothing that comes between you and YOUR child! People will understand around you. And if properly raised YOUR child will fill everyone around you with love and joy. Children have huge hearts and people you trust will see that no matter what is wrong! Don't be selfish on this one it is YOUR child! Love him/her no matter what the case is!!!!

26. chaos58503

chaos58503 New Member

City, State:
      Bismarck, North Dakota( The Cold State!)
      2002 Eddie Bauer
      Just to add! Even two perfectly normal parents can have a child with a birth defect of some sort! Even without knowing there is a 50/50 chance could you live with yourself if it came out with one? If so do not have a child at all, no adoption or anything! You are not ready for it, Cause it can happen to anyone!!!