Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

service parts?

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by chrisx, July 16, 2014.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. chrisx

chrisx New Member

City, State:
    Nassau, Bahamas
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2011 Explorer limited
    Hey guys, my x is not under warranty and i want to service it myself. want to know if anyone would suggest better parts and oil than the motor craft or is the motor craft the best for the x. all help is appreciated. thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. amd2800barton

amd2800barton Active Member

2014 Explorer Sport
    Check out the BobIsTheOilGuy. You will learn more than you ever thought possible about oil. Since my Explorer has the V6 Ecoboost (Sport), I use full synthetic. Turbocharged engines can run very hot, and potentially break down lesser oils. The motorcraft oil is a synthetic oil blended with regular oil, so full synthetic should be a step up. My personal preference is Penzoil Platinum, since I can get a 5Qt bottle at Walmart for about $27+tax, and it also is a well-recommended oil. Mobil 1 may be slightly better, but it usually costs a bit more.

The V6 takes 6 quarts, so my first (and every 6th oil change, I will have to buy a second bottle. That works out to about $40 in for a full synthetic change once you include a filter. Walmart's website says they charge $50 for their house blend full synthetic, but that only covers up to 5 quarts. Other shops tend to run a little more. I'd be paying about $60-65 if I were to get my oil changed at a trusted shop.

While we're on the subject, this is the easiest vehicle I've ever changed the oil on. Throw in a Fumoto Oil Drain Valve (the F-107n) and you can run a hose right from the oil pan to a waste oil bottle. BAM, wrench-less oil change. Won't spill a drop.

4. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve II
    Callsign:
    VE3
    The specs for my MKT state to use WSS-M2C946-A motorcraft oil which was the same, I believe, or equivalent, as what I used in my 2011 Explorer. I'm not sure if that is just a regular non synthetic premium oil or a blend. All I know is that I didn't pay extra for the oil changes on the Ex which were around $39.

Peter

Last edited: July 16, 2014
  5. TerryVanpool

TerryVanpool Member

City, State:
    Mansfield Texas
    2014 Ruby Red Sport!
  6. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve II
    Callsign:
    VE3
    I just checked that out and that is why I went back and edited my post. You're just to fast.:)

Peter

7. SHAD0W

SHAD0W Active Member

2018 Velar
    I've used K&N oil filters, copper oil drain plug gaskets, and Mobile 1 Synthetic. A little pricey, but reduces the overall number of oil changes per year. No problems for me so far.