Setting This style Tourque Wrench? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Setting This style Tourque Wrench?

cjmedina

Reaction score
City, State
Central New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
3 Explorers 01,99,99
DSCN9171.JPG

It's set now on the first line for 120 in-lb. Next division is 240. 1 turn is 10 in-lb but adding 10 for each turn does not come anywhere close to the next mark of 240??????

DSCN9177.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

each twist of that numbered collar should be 10 more in/lb, so you have to keep track of how much to add to the 120,
like 2 turns of that collar should be 140 inch lbs,

Nope...

Thats what the instructions says BUT...

If I go one turn it's 240 not 130????

I'm wondering if each division is 12 in-lb since one turn goes to the 240 mark

that seems wrong to me,

as of now, i don't know for sure,

Looks like each line is 12 in-lb or 1 ft-lb. One full turn would be 120 in-lb or 10 ft-lb. (12" = 1' :p:)

How many turns of the handle does it take to go from 120 to 240?

Each COMPLETE turn of the collar (from 0 all the way back to 0) is 10 ft-lbs, if you just turn the collar slightly like to the next notch you are adding 1 ft-lb. So for example if the collar height is at 120 (10 ft-lbs) and you turn the collar to the notch that says "2" then you are at 12 ft-lbs since you added 2 notches (10 ft-lbs + 2 ft-lbs = 12). If you keep going all the way around to 0 again you have added 10 ft-lbs and it will be at 240 on the handle.

high torque wrench

That's a high torque wrench with a maximum torque of at least 80 ft-lbs (960 in-lbs). My in-lb torque wrench has a maximum of 200 in-lbs. As stated by others on yours each rotation is 10 ft-lbs or 120 in-lbs. Each mark on the rotating barrel represents 1 ft-lb.

I have one just like that, but don't have the instructions. Is it supposed to click when you reach the set torque? It seems that mine never does that, regardless of the setting. Do you think I am doing something wrong?

I have one just like that, but don't have the instructions. Is it supposed to click when you reach the set torque? It seems that mine never does that, regardless of the setting. Do you think I am doing something wrong?

Do you keep the adjusting nut on the bottom tight?

Those less expensive TW's are very sensitive to angle. If they're not level, sometimes they bind up and don't click off. I snapped some intakes on my Mustang with one of them, I have the same wrench...

Do you keep the adjusting nut on the bottom tight?

Yes, that was the first thing I tried. The last time I tried it, I set it as low as it would go and tried to torque my lug nuts. It got to the point I was worried about snapping it off and it hadn't clicked yet. I think it is a "Bulldog" or "Pitbull" brand or something so I wouldn't be surprised if it is broken. Any other ideas on what I could try? Thanks

Thanks for the info.

I think these cheap wrenches are not worth using and could easily over or under torque a bolt.

A beam type is cheaper to buy and more accurate....IMHO

Cliff

Back