Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Setting up my new system.

Discussion in 'Explorer Audio & Navigation' started by Freshmo55, September 27, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Freshmo55

Freshmo55 Active Member

City, State:
      Atlanta, GA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '99 Sport
      Hey all-

I have a couple questions... I have read A LOT of different threads on here about different brands and what is best but I thought I would ask again and see what you thought would be a good addition to what I am setting up.

Right now I am planning on getting:

1. JVC KD-SH99 HU
      2. Pioneer 6"x8" 3 way speakers for the doors and rear.

I also have a JVC 12 disc changer, so that is why i am sticking with JVC HU so that I can control that through the hu.

Now I am trying to figure out if I need an amp?
      What kind should I get (trying not to spend a lot)?
      I might get a small 10" sub, which one would work for my system?
      And how hard would it be for me to set this up?
      (i haven't done a lot of audio work.)

I don't want a huge system or something that bounces me off the road, just something with some clean sound and a little bass.

Any suggestions?
      Thanks!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Kevex

Kevex Active Member

City, State:
      edgewater park,nj
      99 XLT
      A small amp would make the Pioneer 3ways sound cleaner. You would definitely need an amp for a sub, not too hard to install, you will need an amp install kit would be the best way to go. They also have the stealth boxes that go in the trunk area in the cargo pocket on the right that come with 10in and I think 12in also, some even come with a built in amplifier. Good luck, your gonna get bit by the audio bug and want more eventually!

4. aldive

aldive Elite In Memoriam

1999 XLT
      I have that HU in my '00 and really like it' just wish it were all black.

I do not have a changer ( sold my Ford one when I got this HU ) since this is MP#.

I would definately go with component speakers in the front, I had 6 x 8 Pioneer 3 ways up there and when I changed to components and a small amp, wow is all I could say. What a difference,

Good luck......