Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Several Issues: Leaks, Bad MAX AC, and Shift Problem. Urgent help needed!

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Relix, June 19, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Relix

Relix New Member

City, State:
    PR
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2000 XLT SOHC
    Hey! First of all.. Happy Father's Days to those of you who are parents. I usually browse the forum for general information but I decided to make a post about a rather BIG set of issues I am having with my Explorer 2000, and would appreciate if someone gave me some tips, pointers, etc.

1) I have a nasty Power Steering leak. Having to buy oil bottles weekly is getting annoying and more and more is being lost every day. The oil I am buying supposedly has a "stop leak" chemical to it, but it obviously isn't working.

Some pics showing the leaks. Where... and how much.
    http://i.imgur.com/fdeCs.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/S8JGy.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/TwafG.jpg

Should I buy something better to stop leakages or does that seem beyond that type of help and in need of serious repair?

2. MAX AC is not working. When I put the knob towards Max AC nothing changes. No extra air flow, no extra cooling. That plus when I accelerate a lot the air starts coming from the windshield vents. I already know this is a vacuum problem (thanks to the forum) but there's also no change when in Max AC mode so there must be some kind of other issue. Checking around under the hood I did notice a line unplugged, but I couldn't find where it should go. Not sure if its AC related either seeing as its so far away from the cooling area of the car.
    http://i.imgur.com/YPmIS.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/SpgIC.jpg

That's the tube.

3. I don't know if this is a more serious issue, but the Shifts seem to have... "shifted" in the Dashboard. "Parking" is "R" in the dashboard, Reverse is "Neutral", Neutral is Drive, Drive is #2 and #2 is #1. Since the stick seems to have shifted too much I can't even select #1. Is this the beginning of a bigger transmission problem or something simple?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and is needed! Thanks!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. swetrid

swetrid Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Reading Pa
    1999 Eddie Bauer
    #1 looks like rack and pinion leak and can be like $400-500 repair
    #2 is an evap line that could go to the vapor management valve under the battery and has nothing to do with ac
    #3 is the shift indicator(prindle) problem, it usually breaks at the mounting area and causes inaccurate reading. Nothing Major probably like $150 repair

4. Relix

Relix New Member

City, State:
    PR
    2000 XLT SOHC
    Ouch. $400-500..... well, gotta deal with it. Thanks for the information, greatly appreciated =D. I'll post in the dedicated AC Forum about my issues with it then, see if something comes up. Thank a bunch.

5. bobflood

bobflood Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Powder Springs, GA
    1997 Eddie Bauer V8 2WD
    Re number 3: Another thought - There are a couple of gold colored torex headed bolts near the base of the steering column that come loose and can result in the indicator slip also. Seen several posts about this - tightening them up fixes problem. PITA to get at, but easy to fix.

6. Relix

Relix New Member

City, State:
    PR
    2000 XLT SOHC

YEES! This really helped. I used a guide in one of the threads putting a wrap under the plastic bolt, seems to have fixed it. Woohoo thanks for this pointer.

As for the Rack and Pinion leak I used Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak additive and it seems to be slowly helping. I know this is not optimal, but I decided to just buy a new rack and pinion for the car. Costs me around $220 for a new one so much cheaper than a repair, and of course more reliable.

Now that Evap Line... I am having a serious trouble getting to where it should be. i see its connected to the Evap Unit but I see no place where it would go. No loose cable or nearby connection. Making me crazy and frustrated.