• Register Today It's free!

Shift Kit Headache

sloxploder

Reaction score
City, State
Smithfield, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
Hey guys, I just got my trans go shift kit for my 5r55e and im too scared to put it in myself, i mean, you have to drill a hole in the valve body for gods sake. I just dont trus myself, auto trannys scare the hell out of me. Would it be worth it to get my local tranny shop to install it. I know it would probably cost more than the kit itself, but i dont care, i just dont want to mess anything up.

I know what you mean by not messing with it. I would take it to a shop that does these things. Screwing up a transmission is not cheap. Just curious but what will the shift kit do for your tranny?

it is a piece of cake. Check out the Rebuild Diary in the useful threads forum. While this shows (in part 3) the process for drilling the A4LD, it is nearly identical in the 5R series. Go look at that before you panic and worry too much. If you can pull the valve body, you can easily drill that intergallery hole, and drill the separator plate. I encourage DIY.

Here's a pic..

15286Dscn4378.jpg

thanx Glacier, ill hit that page up, maybe ill gather up enough courage to do it myself, my main fear is that hole i have to drill

Back