Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Shift to Park Warning

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by jwsnell00, August 20, 2012.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. blwnsmoke

blwnsmoke Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2020 Explorer ST
  2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    As blwnsmoke posted, using the 'Search' feature is the first step before beginning a new thread. I have merged your thread with this one, the one he identified.
    Also, please add the model of your Ex to your profile so it shows in the margin when you post. Thanks.

Peter

4. Skitabug

Skitabug New Member

2011 Ford Explorer
    Shift to Park Issue

Hi guys,
    I too have just started having this problem on my 2011 Ford Explorer Limited.
    Did anyone get a good and cheap resolution.
    Thanks.

5. blwnsmoke

City, State:
    2020 Explorer ST
    The part is a little over $100 on the discount sites. Buy it and replace it yourself.

6. vig1116

vig1116 Active Member

City, State:
    monmouth, NJ
    2015 sport
    They haven't put out a TSB on this yet and are still making people out of warranty pay for it themselves??? That's BS. It's an obvious problem, not a recall safety problem, but it is a known issue...

7. blwnsmoke

City, State:
    2020 Explorer ST
    TSB 15-0047 SHIFT TO PARK OR TRANSMISSION NOT IN PARK MESSAGE – DISCHARGED BATTERY DUE TO SHIFT TO PARK LIGHT ON / UNABLE TO REMOVE IKT
    Publication Date: March 31, 2015
    FORD: 2011-2014 Edge
    2011-2015 Explorer
    2013-2015 Flex, Taurus
    LINCOLN: 2011-2015 MKX
    2013-2015 MKS, MKT
    This article supersedes TSB 14-0209 to add a production fix date.

Issue

-2014 Edge, 2011-2015 MKX, Explorer and 2013-2015 Flex, MKS, Taurus vehicles built on or before 12/01/2014, and 2013-2015 MKT vehicles built on or before 03/16/2015 equipped with a floor shift selector lever may exhibit a Shift To Park message, Transmission Not In Park message displayed while the shifter is in park position, or unable to remove the integrated keyhead transmitter (IKT), or a discharged battery due to the Shift to Park light remaining illuminated.

Action

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Replace the selector lever assembly.
    Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 307-05.
    Adjust the selector lever cable. Follow the selector lever cable adjustment procedure in the WSM, Section 307-05.

8. vig1116

vig1116 Active Member

City, State:
    monmouth, NJ
    2015 sport
    How come people are still paying out of pocket then?

9. blwnsmoke

City, State:
    2020 Explorer ST
    Because a TSB is not a recall. TSB are subject to the regular bumper to bumper warranty or ESP coverage. A TSB is just something that Ford recognizes as a possible issue and to help a tech identify or diagnose an issue faster. If there is a known issue, they write up a TSB so a tech can search by the description before wasting time troubleshooting. Lays out step by step what to do and how to fix to aide in a faster repair.

At the bottom of every TSB:

"WARRANTY STATUS

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage.
    Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool."

10. LANDYOT

LANDYOT New Member

City, State:
    Newport News, VA
    2013 Explorer LTD
    Bought PN CT4Z-7210-KC today (2013 Limited) from local dealer ... $150 including sales tax. Do you know if there are any detailed installation instructions available online? I'm not having any luck locating such. Thanks in advance!

11. blwnsmoke

City, State:
    2020 Explorer ST
    I haven't seen any but there is a member in this thread that did it him/herself. I believe the side panel just pops off exposing under the center console and would think you could figure it out once the side panel pops off.

May want to teach through the last 10 pages or so and PM the person who changed it out.

12. Gordoscookin

Gordoscookin New Member

City, State:
    Massachusetts
    2012 Explorer Limited
  13. steve04KU

steve04KU Active Member

City, State:
    Dallas, TX
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport
    This issue has been popping up for me lately and could be why I recently had to replace my battery.

14. Gordoscookin

Gordoscookin New Member

City, State:
    Massachusetts
    2012 Explorer Limited
    Finally Fixed!

Finally the dealer replaced the shifter last week which has resolved the issue entirely. This only after 4 service appointments for the issue. Because I had the ESP, and the car is out of warranty, I only had to pay $100 deductible to have it done.

15. Zippyworld

Zippyworld New Member

2011 Explorer Limited
    This issue has been popping up much more now that cold weather has arrived. Brought my Explorer in for another issue and brought this up as well, they had the shifter in stock and replaced it no questions asked. Just cost me the $100 deductible for both issues.

16. LANDYOT

LANDYOT New Member

City, State:
    Newport News, VA
    2013 Explorer LTD
    I decided to not attempt replacing it myself and paid the dealer to do it. Total cost ...part & labor ... was $300 (our 2013 is out of warranty and no ESP).

17. goodmank

goodmank New Member

City, State:
    North, VA
    2012 Ford Explorer LTD
    ^^^Where did you take yours?

I have a 2012 explorer limited and Wynne Ford in Hampton, VA quoted me $415 parts and labor but I found the part online through a genuine Ford dealership for much less than they were asking. Wynne Ford wanted $186 and I found it online for $106

http://store.revolutionparts.com/parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/oe-ford/ct4z7210kc

18. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
    There are also Vendors that help support our 'site'. They can be found under the 'Vendors' tab near the top left of the page. Levittown Ford Super Center has been the most active on here. Benny is the person that seems to be the person to contact. You can send them a PM about prices etc.

Peter

19. goodmank

goodmank New Member

City, State:
    North, VA
    2012 Ford Explorer LTD
    Thanks Peter!

I was more or less just wondering which Ford dealership LANDYOT took his explorer too since he is in the same area as I am. I live in Gloucester, but work in Hampton, VA and since he/she lives in Newport News, VA thats basically within 10 mins of my work, but I will contact the Levittown Ford for parts going forward. I'm sure it won't be the last part I'll replace. Lol

20. LANDYOT

LANDYOT New Member

City, State:
    Newport News, VA
    2013 Explorer LTD
    I took mine to Bowditch Ford. They have treated me well for many years.

21. gday

gday New Member

City, State:
    Loomis, California
    2013 Explorer Sport +402A
    Callsign:
    VK2XOC
    Looking for advice involving this topic. I have a 2013 Explorer Sport - bought July 2015 as a CPO vehicle - allegedly with a 1 year "warranty". I love the car (its nice and zippy) but I have the following items pending:

1) Door handle repair - recall 15V171
    2) Ambient lighting update TSB - 14-0175
    3) "Shift to Park" issue.

First attempt at resolving my items was a couple of months ago at dealer #1 (close to home). Take car in on a Saturday for oil change and try and deal with the above but they can't do anything but oil change - fine. I'm also told I need 3 new wiper blades. (I thought each new CPO car was supposed to come with new blades? - oh hell - I'll throw the $70 at that problem.)

But over time the "shift to park" problem is starting to annoy me and I want it fixed.... So today, (Thursday) I take car to dealer #2 (close to office) at my appointment time of 9:30. First up, I'm told I might get my car back Monday - how wonderful. Later in the day I'm told the lighting fix (software) is a $100 deductible which is done; "Shift to Park" issue requires a $584 repair (new shift lever); no idea where recall stands. Told them skip the lever repair and thus I can have my car back tomorrow - probably.

So... does anyone have any idea how my shift lever replacement ends up at $584? How does this seemingly common failure item get excluded from the CPO warranty? Which brings me to my advice request - how am I suppose to react to this nonsense? Just suck it up and write the checks? Thank goodness I'm mechanically inclined as it seems the part can be had for $103->$106 plus an hour or so of my time. Grrr...

-mick

PS Can anyone confirm the exact part # - seems like its CT4Z7210xx - but I need to confirm the xx piece?

Last edited: January 21, 2016