Shift to Park Warning | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shift to Park Warning

I decided to not attempt replacing it myself and paid the dealer to do it. Total cost ...part & labor ... was $300 (our 2013 is out of warranty and no ESP).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I decided to not attempt replacing it myself and paid the dealer to do it. Total cost ...part & labor ... was $300 (our 2013 is out of warranty and no ESP).

^^^Where did you take yours?

I have a 2012 explorer limited and Wynne Ford in Hampton, VA quoted me $415 parts and labor but I found the part online through a genuine Ford dealership for much less than they were asking. Wynne Ford wanted $186 and I found it online for $106

http://store.revolutionparts.com/parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/oe-ford/ct4z7210kc

^^^Where did you take yours?

I have a 2012 explorer limited and Wynne Ford in Hampton, VA quoted me $415 parts and labor but I found the part online through a genuine Ford dealership for much less than they were asking. Wynne Ford wanted $186 and I found it online for $106
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
There are also Vendors that help support our 'site'. They can be found under the 'Vendors' tab near the top left of the page. Levittown Ford Super Center has been the most active on here. Benny is the person that seems to be the person to contact. You can send them a PM about prices etc.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
There are also Vendors that help support our 'site'. They can be found under the 'Vendors' tab near the top left of the page. Levittown Ford Super Center has been the most active on here. Benny is the person that seems to be the person to contact. You can send them a PM about prices etc.

Peter

Thanks Peter!

I was more or less just wondering which Ford dealership LANDYOT took his explorer too since he is in the same area as I am. I live in Gloucester, but work in Hampton, VA and since he/she lives in Newport News, VA thats basically within 10 mins of my work, but I will contact the Levittown Ford for parts going forward. I'm sure it won't be the last part I'll replace. Lol

I was more or less just wondering which Ford dealership LANDYOT took his explorer to since he is in the same area as I am.
I took mine to Bowditch Ford. They have treated me well for many years.

Looking for advice involving this topic. I have a 2013 Explorer Sport - bought July 2015 as a CPO vehicle - allegedly with a 1 year "warranty". I love the car (its nice and zippy) but I have the following items pending:

1) Door handle repair - recall 15V171
2) Ambient lighting update TSB - 14-0175
3) "Shift to Park" issue.

First attempt at resolving my items was a couple of months ago at dealer #1 (close to home). Take car in on a Saturday for oil change and try and deal with the above but they can't do anything but oil change - fine. I'm also told I need 3 new wiper blades. (I thought each new CPO car was supposed to come with new blades? - oh hell - I'll throw the $70 at that problem.)

But over time the "shift to park" problem is starting to annoy me and I want it fixed.... So today, (Thursday) I take car to dealer #2 (close to office) at my appointment time of 9:30. First up, I'm told I might get my car back Monday - how wonderful. Later in the day I'm told the lighting fix (software) is a $100 deductible which is done; "Shift to Park" issue requires a $584 repair (new shift lever); no idea where recall stands. Told them skip the lever repair and thus I can have my car back tomorrow - probably.

So... does anyone have any idea how my shift lever replacement ends up at $584? How does this seemingly common failure item get excluded from the CPO warranty? Which brings me to my advice request - how am I suppose to react to this nonsense? Just suck it up and write the checks? Thank goodness I'm mechanically inclined as it seems the part can be had for $103->$106 plus an hour or so of my time. Grrr...

-mick

PS Can anyone confirm the exact part # - seems like its CT4Z7210xx - but I need to confirm the xx piece?

Last edited:

Looking for advice involving this topic. I have a 2013 Explorer Sport - bought July 2015 as a CPO vehicle - allegedly with a 1 year "warranty". I love the car (its nice and zippy) but I have the following items pending:

1) Door handle repair - recall 15V171
2) Ambient lighting update TSB - 14-0175
3) "Shift to Park" issue.

First attempt at resolving my items was a couple of months ago at dealer #1 (close to home). Take car in on a Saturday for oil change and try and deal with the above but they can't do anything but oil change - fine. I'm also told I need 3 new wiper blades. (I thought each new CPO car was supposed to come with new blades? - oh hell - I'll throw the $70 at that problem.)

But over time the "shift to park" problem is starting to annoy me and I want it fixed.... So today, (Thursday) I take car to dealer #2 (close to office) at my appointment time of 9:30. First up, I'm told I might get my car back Monday - how wonderful. Later in the day I'm told the lighting fix (software) is a $100 deductible which is done; "Shift to Park" issue requires a $584 repair (new shift lever); no idea where recall stands. Told them skip the lever repair and thus I can have my car back tomorrow - probably.

So... does anyone have any idea how my shift lever replacement ends up at $584? How does this seemingly common failure item get excluded from the CPO warranty? Which brings me to my advice request - how am I suppose to react to this nonsense? Just suck it up and write the checks? Thank goodness I'm mechanically inclined as it seems the part can be had for $106 plus an hour or so of my time. Grrr...

-mick

If you are paying 3K-4K extra for a CPO, you have to read what is covered and what is not and how many point inspection was done on a CPO. I know some manufacturers like BMW have 160 point inspection and some have less. Some just open your hood, check the fluids, brakes and tires. I am not sure if they will lean backwards to check the wiper blades. Factory wiper blades will only last about a year but aftermarket Rain X blades or similar are much more durable and will not leave any watery streaks on the windshield for years.

The wiper blades are more a thorn in my side but according the FORD CPO brochure:

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/global/pdf/cpo/ford_program_brochure.pdf

CPO vehicles are supposed to have "A full tank of fuel, fresh oil and filter, and new wiper blades at delivery" - so its pretty clear that didn't happen. As far as the shift lever, I'm lead to believe its problem is with its internal switch - and again from the CPO doc, switches are listed as covered - but the definition of "switch" seems open to debate.

-mick

If your MFT version was at 3.8 the ambient lighting TSB does not apply. And if you are running 3.6.2 upgrade to 3.8 on your own and they don't have to do the TSB.

If your MFT version was at 3.8 the ambient lighting TSB does not apply. And if you are running 3.6.2 upgrade to 3.8 on your own and they don't have to do the TSB.
Very interesting. So within a few days of owning the car I researched the ambient lighting problem and the TSB fix and made a note of it - at the same time I updated MFT to 3.6.2. Never did research this again. Given your post, I went to see what version was available to me - and I suspect you can guess what I find. Yes for my $100 my "SYNC Software Update History" shows they updated my MFT to 3.8 today!

-mick

Mine has this and its happening pretty much daily on half the starts/turn-offs.
It started out once or twice a week and is now frequent.

Im taking it in for service this coming week.
FYI for anyone who is taking theirs in and you want to make sure they can recreate the issue - ask them to test also using accessory mode.
More chance that it may happen than just starting/stopping the car.

So I will be doing this repair by myself but I'm in no hurry. In reading this thread, its very unclear exactly where the problem is and what part is faulty and what part needs to be changed. So today I started with checking the cable adjustment as per the procedure posted earlier in this thread. I disconnected the cable from the selector arm and it became very clear that the selector arm is detented and by that I mean is very easy to manually place it into the park position thus preventing any interference by the cable/gear lever assembly. And so with the arm in park, cable disconnected and the gear shift level in park, I played with the shift lever button and 20% of the time, park was not indicated. So in my situation, the cable adjustment is totally bogus and has no bearing on the issue.

So to conclude, let me suggest that if you have this issue and M, D, N and R are correctly selected by your shift lever without any problems, the cable adjustment is not your issue.

Tomorrow I will be disassembling the center console to investigate further.

-mick

So I will be doing this repair by myself but I'm in no hurry. In reading this thread, its very unclear exactly where the problem is and what part is faulty and what part needs to be changed. So today I started with checking the cable adjustment as per the procedure posted earlier in this thread. I disconnected the cable from the selector arm and it became very clear that the selector arm is detented and by that I mean is very easy to manually place it into the park position thus preventing any interference by the cable/gear lever assembly. And so with the arm in park, cable disconnected and the gear shift level in park, I played with the shift lever button and 20% of the time, park was not indicated. So in my situation, the cable adjustment is totally bogus and has no bearing on the issue.

So to conclude, let me suggest that if you have this issue and M, D, N and R are correctly selected by your shift lever without any problems, the cable adjustment is not your issue.

Tomorrow I will be disassembling the center console to investigate further.

-mick

In mine - once car is off, I am in P,
STP is displayed,
Drivers consoles are black,
error chime plays,
no gear letters are lit,
drivers seat stays up in my position,
Then I can press the shift button a few times and it registers properly,
P lights red in the gear display,
chime stops,
drivers seat goes to normal position,
Open door
Drivers console fades to black & MFT shuts down

Sometimes opening door after this:

Chime sounds,
Shift to Park displayed,
Driver consoles are all white,
No gear letters are lit,
Press shift button a few times,
All goes to normal as above.

Mine is the Shift knob and its button.

I'm pretty sure this case has been closed for a while now. Several years, I believe. It's the shifter itself, the "trigger" button mechanism to be exact. Change the shifter, fix the problem...

PS. I'm still pretty pissed I was one of the original Guinea pigs that had this problem and because toms ford in NJ couldn't figure out the problem, they lied to ford reps and said I was irate and scaring the other customers in the service dept and insist I'm never to come back there. Didn't stop me from leasing 2 more explorers since then. :) still a good SUV. Lol

PS. I'm still pretty pissed I was one of the original Guinea pigs that had this problem and because toms ford in NJ couldn't figure out the problem, they lied to ford reps and said I was irate and scaring the other customers in the service dept and insist I'm never to come back there. Didn't stop me from leasing 2 more explorers since then. :) still a good SUV. Lol
I think that you could probably lump all 2011 owners into the "Guinea Pig" category. :D

Peter

I think that you could probably lump all 2011 owners into the "Guinea Pig" category. :D

Peter

Yes, but most didn't have to deal with a s*bag dealer that because of their lack of skills blame the customer... ;) see, told you I was still sore about it. Lmao

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Four days ago I made a post soon after I did the cable adjustment - See:
So today I started with checking the cable adjustment as per the procedure posted earlier in this thread.

And now I'm totally lost. Since the above post, I reassembled things, removed the side panels to the console and had to stop since I ran out of time - my plans were to continue on this coming weekend. The "problem" is that the "Shift to Park" issue has not returned. I've driven the car multiple times each day including 1 120 mile trip. No problems. Park works 100%. WTF!

I always thought this issue was weird given all the posts.... So I'm on standby waiting for the problem to return.. :banghead:

-mick

Back