Shift to Park Warning | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shift to Park Warning

I just replaced my shifter today, as I was getting the same "shift to park" message and I also noticed the remote lock and unlock wasn't responding like normal as with remote start not working most of the time because of the conditions required for the controller to allow the remote start to start the engine. Its a fairly easy job to do. I tested the old micro switch before I removed the shifter and noticed I could hear the switch was always triggered but sometimes the internal contacts must not engage fully and caused the "shift to park" message.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am now getting the "shift to park" message again after having my shifter replaced once before in April 2014. I'm now out of warranty and do not want to pay for it. This has to be taken care of by Ford. It's frustrating.

I am now getting the "shift to park" message again after having my shifter replaced once before in April 2014. I'm now out of warranty and do not want to pay for it. This has to be taken care of by Ford. It's frustrating.
Good luck with that! There are members who have replaced it themselves. As it is a known issue, you may get some help but I wouldn't count on it. You can always PM FordService to see if they can assist.

Peter

Shift to Park Warning keeps coming on

Out of about 12 trips daily in my 2011 Explorer Limited 19K, at least 3 or 4 times each day I started getting the message "Shift to Park" along with a warning chime after pushing the lever to the park position and turning off the key. I have to move the shift lever around and sometimes restart and re-shift to park. I know its warranty, but I am concerned since you can't seem to make it happen on demand, but at least 20% of my trips end this way, and it takes sometimes a minute or two messing with it to make the chime and warning go away. Looking to see if this has happened to anyone else, or is just a fluke on my Exp, and can it be easily fixed? Thanks!
I have had the same problem and all you need to do is to "flick" the button in the front of the lever a couple of times and it usually fixes the problem. It's the terminals on that button that are not making contact with each other.
You can also try cleaning the contacts with the compressed air for cleaning electronics. They sell it in spray cans at computer stores. I have used it in the past and it rarely give any problems any more.
Hope this helps!

...You can also try cleaning the contacts with the compressed air for cleaning electronics. They sell it in spray cans at computer stores. I have used it in the past and it rarely give any problems any more.
Hope this helps!

Thanks for the idea, I will give it a try on mine. Fortunately mine doesn't do it very often and is a relatively minor annoyance, but an easy (cheap!) fix would be great.

I had this problem on my '13 Edge also. Ford replaced the shifter assembly under warranty. There is a TSB for this also, it would be worth asking the dealer to replace it for free even if it's out of warranty.

Good luck with that! There are members who have replaced it themselves. As it is a known issue, you may get some help but I wouldn't count on it. You can always PM FordService to see if they can assist.

Peter

Thanks for suggesting us, Peter! :thumbsup:

I understand your frustration, ctmhou. Have you taken it back to the dealer for the message? Please send me a PM with your name, contact info, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealer. I'll check out available options.

Rachel

Took my explorer in today for a lot of the common issues.

I'm curious why they would quote me 1 hour to diagnose the shift to park issue when it is so common there is a tsb for it?

I get the feeling they are going to send it back saying they cannot duplicate the issue.

I'm curious why they would quote me 1 hour to diagnose the shift to park issue when it is so common there is a tsb for it?

I get the feeling they are going to send it back saying they cannot duplicate the issue.

Some dealers do it because if they can't duplicate, Ford does not pay for their time (1 h I urge minimum). I choose not to do business with those dealers (I have 1 near me) when I am under warranty.

Follow my steps on how to duplicate if they claim to not be able to. My dealer was the same way until I got the service manager in the seat and did it for him.

If they duplicate it, there should be no fee if under warranty. A tsb is not a recall, they do not just replace a part on a customer's word that it is happening.

Some dealers do it because if they can't duplicate, Ford does not pay for their time (1 h I urge minimum). I choose not to do business with those dealers (I have 1 near me) when I am under warranty.

Follow my steps on how to duplicate if they claim to not be able to. My dealer was the same way until I got the service manager in the seat and did it for him.

If they duplicate it, there should be no fee if under warranty. A tsb is not a recall, they do not just replace a part on a customer's word that it is happening.

I'm aware that a tsb is not a recall but it shows that it's a known issue and in this case it is a know intermittent issue. It would be poor business practice to charge the customer $133 diagnostic fee on something that comes and goes that they are aware of. Also, in my case it is a 3rd party warranty paying for it so it is not on ford's dime.

I'm aware that a tsb is not a recall but it shows that it's a known issue and in this case it is a know intermittent issue. It would be poor business practice to charge the customer $133 diagnostic fee on something that comes and goes that they are aware of. Also, in my case it is a 3rd party warranty paying for it so it is not on ford's dime.

3rd party warranties do not pay for diagnostic time so in general, you will usually pay for the first hour of labor even with the 3rd party warranty. That is why 3rd parties are not good warranties to have.

3rd party warranties do not pay for diagnostic time so in general, you will usually pay for the first hour of labor even with the 3rd party warranty. That is why 3rd parties are not good warranties to have.

It's ally major guard. It pays diagnostic once the problem has been verified.

How did it go at the dealer, Collin84? Let me know if they were able to duplicate the issue, as well as your current mileage; I'll check out options on my end.

Rachel

It's ally major guard. It pays diagnostic once the problem has been verified.
How did it go at the dealer, Collin84? Let me know if they were able to duplicate the issue, as well as your current mileage; I'll check out options on my end.

Rachel

Thanks for the response. Just heard from the dealer and they said it needs an upper shock mount, backup camera and a gear shift assembly. I'm assuming they were able to verify everything. The bad part, the warranty company wants to send out an inspector to approve the repairs before they will pay. Looks like I'm stuck with a rental car until at least Monday.

Thanks for the response. Just heard from the dealer and they said it needs an upper shock mount, backup camera and a gear shift assembly. I'm assuming they were able to verify everything. The bad part, the warranty company wants to send out an inspector to approve the repairs before they will pay. Looks like I'm stuck with a rental car until at least Monday.

You got it, Collin84! What's your current mileage? I'll see how I can best assist; I know it's tough to be separated from your normal ride.

Rachel

Anyone have a link for removing and replacing the shifter assembly? TIA!!

Thank you Peter, I will take a look anything you learning during the process you could pass along? Thank you again!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Peter, What parts of the console did you have to remove to replace the shifter, I wouldn't think you have to remove the entire console to do so?

Back