Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Shift to Park Warning

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by jwsnell00, August 20, 2012.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Mark C Estes

Mark C Estes New Member

City, State:
    Plainfield
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2012 Explorer Limited
    First off I'd like to thank whomever created this forum. I've owned my 2012 Explorer for about a month now and because of the many posts I have been able to successfully stitch the armrest back together, replace the backup camera & program it and gained the knowledge to troubleshoot this "shift to park" issue that plagues these vehicles.

Everyone states you have to replace the shifter, which is anywhere from $130 to $450, depending on who you get it from. Well I've narrowed the issue down to ONE component... A $3 snap action switch! If anyone can get their hands on a diagram of the one Ford uses for these shifters then anyone that can solder would be able to fix this issue for $3. I'm personally looking for this info because I'm experiencing this issue right now and refuse to pay over $100 for this simple fix. I just need to know which switch to buy. I've attached pics of the physical switch and other associated reference material.

IMG_20180502_112107.jpg

MVIMG_20180502_112209.jpg

dg_cutaway_2x.gif

Screenshot_20180502-113844.png

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Welcome to the Forum Mark.:wave:
    This Forum was created by Rick, who is the site administrator. See bottom of page.

Peter

4. Alice Gomez

Alice Gomez New Member

City, State:
    Jurupa Valley CA
    2014 explorer limited
    my 14 limited says that it is not in Park when I put the shifter to park. Is this a sensor issue?

5. blwnsmoke

blwnsmoke Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    2020 Explorer ST
    Welcome, I have merged your thread with the current one that goes over this in detail. We ask that members use the search function on the top right before starting a new thread so same topics stay together.

6. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Welcome to the Forum Alice.:wave:
    Now that your thread was moved here, I think you'll find the answers.

Peter

7. Joxos33

Joxos33 New Member

City, State:
    Auburn, WA.
    2012 Explorer
    Hi Everyone,

2012 Explorer XLT at 120,000 miles. Recently experienced the “shift to park” problem but a bit differently than the majority of you. I was traveling on i5 at 65 miles an hour and lost all power with my display showing “shift to park”. Luckily, I was able to safely coast to the side of the road. I then shifted to park, attempted to start the vehicle with no luck. After 15 mins of sitting on the side of i5 in Seattle, it randomly started again. Made it home, parked in the garage and shut it off. Attempted to turn back on and had a blank screen. Started looking at shifter and switches. They weren’t the issue. Checked the fuse panel and relays. Found the panel has a loose connection at the main harness. Not sure if anyone else has seen this or not. Either way, keep it in mind for future issues. Best lesson to learn, buy Chevrolet

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    I would think that message is a normal one to receive when the engine is off and the shifter is not in Park.
    Could it be that this loose connection may have been the issue you posted about when you had starting issues? You never did post any follow up info on what the problem was. 2012 Explorer XLT starting issues

Peter

Last edited: June 17, 2018
  9. hd94

hd94 New Member

City, State:
    dallas
    2014 Ford Explorer XLT
    Hey Guys i have a 2014 Ford Explorer with 72k miles and my battery was starting to give out on me so before it did i went and bought a new one and went to put it in and Have no Start or Crank . Instead it gives me the "Transmission not in Park" Warning And it is stuck on M. I saw on another post to jump start it and i did and it turned on but wouldn't shift gears.But haven't been able to start since Haven't Really had any issues with it until now. Any help Would be really appreciated Thanks.

10. blwnsmoke

City, State:
    2020 Explorer ST
    Flick the shifter knob a couple times and try again (black button you need to press to shift out of park)

11. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
    Your thread was merged with this existing one on the same type of warning. Also, you should have the Battery Maintenance System (BMS) reset as it will retain the info from the old battery such as age.
    Also, as per page 334 of your Manual, "After battery replacement, or in some cases after charging the battery with an external charger, the BMS requires eight hours of vehicle sleep time (key off with doors closed) to relearn the new battery state of charge."

Peter

Last edited: August 19, 2018
  12. ctoppir

ctoppir New Member

City, State:
    Detroit MI / Cleveland OH
    04' and 13' Exp Limited
    I wanted to update my fellow Re-Engineers. My shift to park problem did return. Simply bending the lever arm worked for a while but the problem did return. I was able to find the right one at Mouser Electronics with a minum order of 1pc. It has the correct posts, fits perfectly, and comes with wire tails so you don't have to solder (butt connectors). It is an Omron part like the factory component. The Mouser part number 653-D2HW-Bl281M (Omron PN D2HW-BL281M). IMPORTANT! Some wire colors are different. Black to Black, Ford Green to new switch Blue, and Ford Blue to new switch Red. This switch is as long leaf lever with a curl at the end that worked perfectly without any modofications. ($5.28 for part, $7.99 for shipping)

This is a solution to a common ford shifter problem. $14 vs $150 shifter. spread the word...

Black ------------Black (Normally Closed)
    Ford Green------------Blue (Common) New switch
    Blue--------------Red (Normally Open)

Thank you Explorer Forum.

ctoppir

• Like Like x 1
  13. tome

tome New Member

City, State:
    Ann Arbor, MI
    2011 Explorer
    I bent mine as well and it has worked so far. I was barely able to get to it after lifting up the center console. I assume replacing means you have to fully remove the center console and side panels to reach it?

Thanks for finding the switch and posting the info.
    -Tom

14. blwnsmoke

City, State:
    2020 Explorer ST
    $7.99 for shipping? They could have thrown it in a white envelope with a 50 cent stamp on it lol.

Last edited: October 30, 2018
  15. 613GT500

613GT500 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Ontario, Canada
    2016 XC90 T8 R-Design
    It's USD $20 flat fee to ship to us folks here in Canada, or free on orders of $100.00.

16. omar302

omar302 Active Member

City, State:
    Doha
    2016 Ford Edge Sport
    Just a reminder that there is now a switch sold directly by Ford to fix the issue. The TSB & part numbers are posted in post# 374.

17. jester435

jester435 New Member

City, State:
    SLC, UT
    2014 Ford Explorer Sport
    2014 explorer sport had shifter replaced under extended warranty in 1/4/2016 at 40K miles. Now it is 1/10/2019 75k miles getting relpaced again. Such a shame that ford doesnt replace the switch instead of replacing the entire shifter. I am calling a few different places to see if they will just fix the switch and not charge me over $100 which is my deductible. Seems like I am always fixing things on the sport, but I really like the vehicle.

18. jmr061

jmr061 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Wisconsin
    16 Edge
    Pr-16 Exp Sport
    Ford did chang to offering a kit to fix just the switch. Its like $20.

19. Scott alamprese

Scott alamprese New Member

City, State:
    Ridgway Co
    2013 sport
    So the dealer said replace the Gear shift stalk for about $500.00
    I have heard that it fixes it some of the time.

I had my Shifter cable tension adjusted at the transmission and it is 99% better!
    I bet a bit more adjusting on the cable will finish it.

What happens what was called the " Neutral safety switch " Now called the Range Sensor if it is not aligned the truck still thinks it is in drive. Now in the process I have had to put in Neutral to start and play with it and then the light says it is in Park . It cost $100.00 vs $500.00 Hmmm..

I am a retired Mechanic with over 40 years experience and Automotive Instructor as well as a EMS First Responder that I use this vehicle as does numerous other Agency's.
    Scott N.R.E.M.T. ASE Instructor

20. Adrian Gitch

Adrian Gitch Active Member

City, State:
    Paris, KY
    2015 Explorer Limited
    I had this same problem about a year ago and bought the shifter assembly for about 142.00 and replaced it myself. I've heard it's a common issue.

21. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Welcome to the Forum Scott.:wave:
    Your thread was merged with this one found using the 'Search' feature in the upper right. Not much hasn't been posted about in the past 8 years.;)

Peter