Shift to Park Warning | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shift to Park Warning

So, after one failed attempt at Chino Hills Ford for refusing to fix the "Shift to Park" because they themselves could not "get it to fail" and numerous complaints to Ford's regional customer care manager, who personally contacted Fritts Ford (my preferred Ford Service) to explain the situation, they took a look at it and ordered the part. Waited two weeks for the part, and on the third and final trip, the shift gear was replaced and I have yet to see "shift to park" again.

Hallelujah!!!!!

Fantastic news, SoCalStacy! Thank you for sharing your outcome. :)

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well......

So I jumped in my car today (that had the shift to park issue repaired) and the car won't start. CLICK...CLICK...CLICK...CLICK...CLICK. WARNING : System brake check WARNING: Collisions warning not available. Things start flashing all over my instrument panel. Sync performs routine maintenance (crashed) and my lights flicker. Dead battery? Computer dead? Ford dealer says to call roadside assistance and have it towed to them. My car is two and a half years old and it won't start??? That's piss poor battery life if that's the case.

I'm starting to wonder if all those days that "shift to park" would not disappear, did my car battery not shut off because it thought it was not in park??? Hmmmm, I'm gonna stay on this board a while to see if anyone else has an issue with it.

So I jumped in my car today (that had the shift to park issue repaired) and the car won't start. CLICK...CLICK...CLICK...CLICK...CLICK. WARNING : System brake check WARNING: Collisions warning not available. Things start flashing all over my instrument panel. Sync performs routine maintenance (crashed) and my lights flicker. Dead battery? Computer dead? Ford dealer says to call roadside assistance and have it towed to them. My car is two and a half years old and it won't start??? That's piss poor battery life if that's the case.

I'm starting to wonder if all those days that "shift to park" would not disappear, did my car battery not shut off because it thought it was not in park??? Hmmmm, I'm gonna stay on this board a while to see if anyone else has an issue with it.
My battery was replaced after 2 years. Having issues again 6 months later that may be battery related so I will have it checked in a few weeks when I have the oil changed and Winter wheels installed. There have been posts about batteries being replaced within a week of getting the vehicle as well. I believe one member is on their 3rd battery.

Peter

I had the same issue. Brought it in to the dealer, according to the receipt they "adjusted shift cable". It is better but not completely gone. Now happens 1-2x a week where it previously occurred every day.

I had the same issue. Brought it in to the dealer, according to the receipt they "adjusted shift cable". It is better but not completely gone. Now happens 1-2x a week where it previously occurred every day.

Although my dealer said the document says it is the cable, I believe it is indeed the button. I can duplicate it all the time by putting it in park, holding the brake and constantly pulling the trigger. Without moving or pushing pressure on the shifter, I can get it to do it once out of every 15-20 times. A quick light tap of the button will get it to register back in park. I don't think it would be the cable if I don't have to move or jiggle the shifter to duplicate the problem.

My Ex has beenat the dealer since Monday and waiting for a call that it is done.

So after my dealer saying they adjusted the shift cable, I picked it up this morning and sat in the parking lot. Pulled the trigger 6 times and got it to happen again. Had the service manager come out and he played with it for 5 minutes and got it to do it a dozen times.

Long story short, he looked up the part (not knowing if he can get just the shifter or the whole assembly) and found that the shifter now has a new part number. I'm assuming that it has been redesigned in some way because of these issues. There is no eta yet on the part because of it being updated so I will get a call when it comes in.

Fortunately it is only a matter of tapping the button again to clear the message so it is just more annoying till it gets replaced.

Has anyone fix this on their own? Either replacing the shifter or making the adjustment? I'm out of warranty, and would rather do it myself instead of paying the dealer.

Ours started doing this, gradual at first, and got more progressive until it did it every time. Apparrently did it all night until the battery ran down overnight. FYI, I needed to jump this morning, and was going to push it out of the garage so I could jump, and there is no way to shift this thing to neutral if the battery is dead!!! I was lucky and had a 20' pair of jumper cables.

It currently at the dealer. We are at 43K, with no remaining warranty except drivetrain. :( I will have a cost to repair later today and will post when I find out.

Ours started doing this, gradual at first, and got more progressive until it did it every time. Apparrently did it all night until the battery ran down overnight. FYI, I needed to jump this morning, and was going to push it out of the garage so I could jump, and there is no way to shift this thing to neutral if the battery is dead!!! I was lucky and had a 20' pair of jumper cables.

It currently at the dealer. We are at 43K, with no remaining warranty except drivetrain. :( I will have a cost to repair later today and will post when I find out.
Welcome to the Forum bbundy.:wavey:
Yes there is a way to shift out of Park. Check out the section on BRAKE-SHIFT INTERLOCK in your Owner's Guide. It is on page 283 of the 4th print edition.

Peter

Thanks Peter. I called the dealership and they didn't know how to tell me. I figured there was some way to do it, as every car I have ever known had a way, we were in a hurry. Ended up costing $100, they adjusted the shift cable. 1 day down, and so far so good. I noticed they updated our sync, as the icons and stuff looked different, and then our navigation didn't work, kept saying bad SD card. Had to go back and buy a new SD card.

Thanks Peter. I called the dealership and they didn't know how to tell me. I figured there was some way to do it, as every car I have ever known had a way, we were in a hurry. Ended up costing $100, they adjusted the shift cable. 1 day down, and so far so good. I noticed they updated our sync, as the icons and stuff looked different, and then our navigation didn't work, kept saying bad SD card. Had to go back and buy a new SD card.
Depending on what version they installed the S/D card should be free. Version 3.5.1 was 2 updates ago and required a new A4 card. That card is also valid with the latest version 3.6.2. If it was an A4 card you required to replace A3, that should have been provided free of charge by the dealer.

Peter

My shifter was just recently replaced for the same "Shift To Park" message. The occurrence of the message got to the point that it appeared each time I parked. The techs diagnosed the issue, ordered a shifter and replaced it a week later.
All is well.

It's not the cable, it's the actual button that you push to shift. If you start the vehicle and leave it in park, keep your foot off the brake and pull the trigger button (it won't press all the way since your foot is not on the brake) and do it over and over again, you will notice that the "P" on the dash goes from red to white every time you push on the button but at times, it will not turn red when you let go.

I could duplicate it for my dealer many times but sometimes I'd have to tap the trigger 20 times to get it to do it once. There is a bulletin (not a TSB) that says to adjust the cable because Ford believes that it is not engaging in park and that adjustment will fix it however it is an electrical problem, not mechanical.

Dealer replaced my shifter and has not done it again in several months. One of the easiest things to duplicate for the dealer, just keep doing it and watch the P on the dash.

Shift to Park message

blwnsmoke, your are correct about it being the button. I have a 2013 Limited with 18700 miles on it and I started having the same issue with the message coming on yesterday. So today, I did what you said about not touching the brake and play with the button and sure enough the the "P" indicator stayed white. I then turned the car off with the message showing and when I pressed the button, the message disappeared and all was normal. I did it twice, but haven't been able to do it since.

Maybe Ford can find a remedy for this problem. I'm hopeful.:)

blwnsmoke, your are correct about it being the button. I have a 2013 Limited with 18700 miles on it and I started having the same issue with the message coming on yesterday. So today, I did what you said about not touching the brake and play with the button and sure enough the the "P" indicator stayed white. I then turned the car off with the message showing and when I pressed the button, the message disappeared and all was normal. I did it twice, but haven't been able to do it since.

The shifter is a new part number so I'm assuming they have addressed the issue. Sometimes it takes 30-40 attempts but you should be able to keep duplicating it. Just have the service manager sit in with you while you show them. It will get progressively worse.

If you notice a pattern for when this happens, ctmhou, you can always try to replicate it while your tech is present. Let me know if it crops up again and I'll see what I can do to assist. :thumbsup:

Crystal

If you notice a pattern for when this happens, ctmhou, you can always try to replicate it while your tech is present. Let me know if it crops up again and I'll see what I can do to assist. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Thanks Crystal.
I'm going in to see my dealer Thursday for the blinker stalk issue. Boy, there are times when I feel as if I'm going to break off the blinker lever. My service tech has already scheduled and ordered the part for the fix.
I'll also tell her about the "shift to park" issue. So far I have not been able to replicate this issue.

Thanks Crystal.
I'm going in to see my dealer Thursday for the blinker stalk issue. Boy, there are times when I feel as if I'm going to break off the blinker lever. My service tech has already scheduled and ordered the part for the fix.
I'll also tell her about the "shift to park" issue. So far I have not been able to replicate this issue.

Sounds good, ctmhou; let me know how things go on Thursday. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Sounds good, ctmhou; let me know how things go on Thursday. :thumbsup:

Crystal

We'll, I took my Explorer into my dealer today to repair the blinker and all I can say is, why didn't i do this earlier? Man, this blinker operates like butter. Silky smooth.

Now , all I have to do is re-train my left hand to not make such a purposeful move to get it to blinking. One finger control. Oh boy!

Thanks Crystal for your concern. All is well......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back