City, State
Humboldt
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Sport Trac Limited
What are you running for shocks ??

Brand?

Front, rear??

Anybody ??

Bilstein, Rancho and Monroe are some popular choices.

Bilstein, Rancho and Monroe are some popular choices.
I tried them all and I’m gonna tell you about my experience with each shock brand. ( I have 96 Explorer XLT 5.0 ) I live in New York City the city of POT HOLES. Pot holes kill shocks or shorten the lifespan , if I lived in another state which doesn’t have pot holes i’m pretty sure the shocks will live longer and perform better. Monroe shocks SUCKS within 6 months the welds broke & the ride sucks feels like cheap shocks , do not buy Monroe. KYB shocks , I tried the white & gray kyb shocks Ride very firm & stiff takes pot holes very well at the end of the shocks lifecycle It starts to ride very smooth , then dies quickly got proximately 6 months of life. The red KYB ride firm to hard did not like the ride , I have heard of the red KYB ride good on some other explorers but not mines. I change them out within 1 year , the ride never change since day one (ride too hard). Bilstein shocks ride firm and takes potholes well , when vehicle is loaded up with weight rides very smooth , but did not last long within 6 months to 1 year they died. Gabriel MaxControl shocks , WOW made my truck ride like a brand new truck , straight out of ford dealership on day one , very smooth ride takes turns very well and potholes pretty good better than Bilstein shocks , but it doesn’t last long the potholes in my city eats the shocks up quick only got six months of life , if you live in an area that has no potholes I will recommend the shocks , and do not load your vehicle with heavy equipment or stuff all the time.
Ranchos 5000 rides OK only last 6 months ended up with a busted shocks from the pothole. Never tried the Ranchos 7000. But now I have the Rancho 9000 with adjustment knob for a ride control. This time I did things a little different let me explain , I adjusted both my torsion bars just to stiffen them up , not for height & add Timbren rubber springs & in the rear I have coil over shocks this helps with body roll had the rear shocks for already almost 2 years still good . For the front I’m three months in will keep you posted on ride and longevity of the front. Now my truck rides very smooth on flat surface handles turns like a race car and takes potholes stiff but pretty good. CHECK OUT MY POST ON TIMBREN

Back