Shock Recommendations

MtDew

Reaction score
City, State
Northern Indiana ***Unless your the lead dog, the view never changes!***
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT Explorer 4.6 V-8
Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this forum and hoping for some good advice. I have owned 6 Explorers and 2 Expeditions. My wife drives the Expedition!! :D They have all been outstanding. My current ride, a 2000 Explorer has been an excellent truck with little or no problems. I'm a computer tech and I use it for work. I also pull our boat and utility trailer with it. Does a great job!

My question is about shocks? I've noticed that I'm getting a little wheel bounce in the rear end and I can feel a difference in the ride. I would like to replace the stock shocks with something that will hold up to my towing (boat weighs about 4000LB) but will give me a better ride.

Any suggestions??

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site, I run old man emu shocks but those are geared more towards offroad and give a truck like ride, I'm sure someone will chime in with better info for ya. ;)

I scored some new shocks a few months back and found lots of good press on both Monroe Sensatracs and Reflex. I went with the Reflex. Been very happy with them. There are definitely some higher priced options out there, but I didn't see the point.

Use the search function on this site and you'll find tons of shock related threads.

You can get the Rancho 9000's, their adjustable so when you are towing you can make them stiffer, but there are on the expensive side.

If it counts for anything, Rancho is manufactured by the same folks as Monroe. They tend to market Rancho as their higher-end "offroad" product (from what I've seen anyhow).

I second the recommendation for Rancho 9000x shocks.

I run the Edelbrock IAS shocks and like them very much. Very good road manners making it handle very well. I will prob. try the rancho 9000's next just to try them out.

Wow!! Thanks for all the info!!

I've been leaning towards the Rancho 9000's but I wasn't sure that they would be a good choice for a truck that is 98% on the road. I know that they improve the handling but do they smooth out the ride and how difficult are they to adjust?? It would be a major drag to spend an hour adjusting shocks just so I can go skiing that day..

Great stuff guys............keep em coming!!

just crawl under the truck and turn the dial on the truck to adjust...or they make and in cab contriler that can adjust them from inside the truck

Sounds easy enough!

Thanks for the info :cool:

I really like my Edelbroc IAC shocks.
Very positive road feel.

Back