Shocks and rear sway bar question? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shocks and rear sway bar question?

mercuryman97

Reaction score
City, State
greenville,sc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
i have a 1997 mercury mountaineer with 2.5"TT and 3"shackles with 31x10.5x15 dunlop mud rovers mounted on 15x8 wheels and i was wondering if using the stock shocks is safe or do i need to buy extended lenght shocks?
*If i remove the rear sway bar what are the advantages and what are the cons?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should be fine with your stock length shocks.

Removing Sway Bar:
Pro: more flex in the rear
Con: can make the rear more unstable during cornering (although I, and many others, didn't notice any difference after it was removed)

edit: when you say "3" shackles," do you mean the shackle holes are 3" farther apart, or they are actually 3" lift shackles?

they are 3 inch lift shackles but i only got like 2 3/4 inch lift out of them

Pros and cons are just what Robb said. I have my rear sway bar totally removed and I didn't notice a single bit of difference. This could be b/c I have AAL in the rear instead of shackles, so they stiffened the rear a bit more, but IDK for sure if it would have made a difference.
BTW-What kind of shackles are these that gave you that much lift?

They are just generic brand adjustable from 1",2",and 3" lift...i got them from pep boys for around 20 dollars and so far they have held up really good...

Back