Shop installed pitman arm and now... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shop installed pitman arm and now...

Byrd91

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Penobscot, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
I finally got around to getting my pitman arm installed (I was going to do it but we couldn't get the old one off) and today when I picked the truck up it seems to turn really hard, and doesn't return to center at all. Now I know going from stock to a 4" pitman arm will through the allignment, but I didn't think it would be enough so that it wouldn't return to center at all. I don't know what the shop could have done to screw something up, but its definitely not right....should I wait until I get an allignment, or call the shop about it.

It should return to straight no matter what, you should not have to fight it. It would be really difficult to screw up a steering box just by pulling off the pitman arm, but I have seen stranger things. I would take it right back to them............

I installed a 4" Pitman Arm when I lifted my "X" without any side effects. I thinks they screwed somthing up.:confused:

Called shop, made them aware of what was happening and he seemed concerned. They are going to allign it on Friday and test drive it. I definitely don't think it felt out of allignment and that it had some additional leverage on it. Something seems messed up. Maybe they used unconventional tools on my steering box, because I tried with a pitman arm puller and a 1.5' lever and thought I was going to break it, so maybe they just reefed on the thing, I don't know, their responsibility now I guess.

Back