Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Shopping for an Explore..

Discussion in 'Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers' started by Jayme, March 28, 2015.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Jayme

Jayme New Member

City, State:
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2010 Explorer 4x4
    Hello all. New here.

I currently have a 2002 Escape that I really have enjoyed. Owned for almost 4 years but now its time, for a few reasons, that I need to 'upgrade' to something a tad bigger.

I decided that I wanted a 2010 Explore. Like the way they look and their towing ratings. So I come here with a few questions:

Anything to know about the 2010 models that I should know? As in, any known or somewhat common issues?

I do plan on getting a travel trailer. So I understand that with the Tow Package, it can tow around 5k lbs. When looking at one in person, are their any obvious signs that it has the tow package? What to look for?

And not too important I suppose just curious tho, what kinda 'real life' MPG some are getting?

Thanks for any input!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Rcflyer330

Rcflyer330 Active Member

City, State:
    Michigan
    2010 Ford Explorer XLT V6
    the tow package should have the 2 inch hitch opening and should have the round connector on the back for lights and brakes and someware in the drivers side foot well will have the connector for the brake controller. other than that the dealer can look it up by the vin #. you might be able to look up online possibly

4. VA Explorerlover

VA Explorerlover New Member

City, State:
    Northern Virginia
    2006 4.0 Explorer
    The tow package has the hitch installed and there will be two types of electrical connectors to its left.
    Just make sure you have a mechanic you trust look over it before you buy it.

5. denninc

denninc New Member

City, State:
    Brooklyn, NY
    2010 Mountaineer v8
    One of the nice things about buying a used ford, is that you can look up the original sticker online. So if you want to know if the explorer you are looking at has the tow package get the VIN number off the dealers web site and look it up.

There is a number of threads on here telling how to get the original sticker.

Good luck.

6. thebrakeman

thebrakeman Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Canton, Michigan
    2006 Mercury Mountaineer
    V6 with HD towing package will have 5200-5500 lbs tow rating.
    To get this rating out of the V6-5-speed drivetrain, the tow package includes an axle gearing change from 3.55 to 3.73. This kills your fuel economy when not towing, and only gets you 5500 lbs tow rating. The combined weight of both loaded vehicles can not exceed 10,000 lbs GCVWR.

V8 with HD towing package will have 7000-7400 lbs tow rating.
    Because the 2006-2010 V8 models came with a new 6-speed transmission (with a very low 1st gear), they are able to get that 7000+ tow rating while keep the same 3.55 axle gearing. The combined GCVWR rises to 12,000 lbs.

Most have found that the 3.55-V8 gets about the same gas mileage as the 3.73-V6 when not towing. When you are towing, the V8 will likely get better gas mileage because you're not having to kick the V6 in the butt to move. 300 ft-lbs of torque is nice! I highly recommend it.

PS - See my sig line. My camper is about 5000 lbs loaded. it's a very good, stable rig. Even if you plan to have a lighter loaded trailer, a full-height trailer is like pulling a barn door thru the wind.

If you are getting a popup, the V6 would be great. Then again, your Escape could probably handle that.

7. pzy3339

pzy3339 Active Member

City, State:
    columbus ohio
    2006, 4x4 Limited 4.6
    I also agree on the V8. The 4.6 has been produced by the millions.

Spark plugs are a known issue on the V8, but if you read up on how to do it its really not an issue. I read all the different procedures people have tried, came up with my own, and had no trouble with it at all. Patience is key.

All of them are known for radiator issues, not the end of the world either.

V8 exhaust manifold studs are known to fail and cause exhaust leaks which "ticks" on a cold start. Not a reliability issue, but can be a costly fix, or a difficult one. I have done it, took 6 hours.

My 2006 V8 has 152,xxx miles and runs great. That said, ive done two of the common repairs that if I couldn't do myself would have been very costly. Those being spark plugs and broken exhaust manifold studs. At a shop those two things would cost about $2,000 combined. About 10x what it cost me.

I will probably keep this explorer for a long time since its the last generation built like this, if I sold it I would search high and low for a 2010 with the lowest mileage and a V8. Preferably from an area that does not see salt or sand!

8. jrford

jrford Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Birmingham, MI
    '10 Sport Trac
    I own two 2010's, Sport Trac 80k miles and a Mounty 35k miles. Both are the 4.6 and 6 speeds and tow package. With the tow package there is an extra Trans cooler that sits in front of the radiator. I also have a 4,000lb Camper at about 8' high. Both trucks tow real nice, i usually do about 60mph with the O/D off at about 3k rpm getting 10mpg. With the 1k lb boat, i can tow with the O/D on no problems, don't even know its back there avg 16mpg with it. I'd vote for V8's over the V6, more towing margin.

With the 2010 V8's they do NOT have sparkplug issues as the cylinder head was redesign in '08.

9. Jayme

Jayme New Member

City, State:
    SF Bay Area, CA
    2010 Explorer 4x4
    Thanks for the replies. I had my eye on one and pulled the trigger!

Its a 2010 V6 XLT with 60k miles. Dealer said it had the tow package. Looks like it does with the 2 inch receiver and electric hookup right next to it.
    Ran the VIN and says:

GVWR Range: 6,001 - 10,000 Pounds

Confirms that I can tow up to about 5k lbs, right?

1 previous owner, clean inside and out and runs smooth as butter.

I'm happy with it! :thumbsup:

10. pzy3339

pzy3339 Active Member

City, State:
    columbus ohio
    2006, 4x4 Limited 4.6
    any v6 with the tow package will have the same gcvwr. your exact towing/cargo capacity will depend on the weight of your specific vehicle, based on what options it has changing its curb weight. This information is on the door I believe.

the limit for the vehicle itself is like 6850lbs, so if curb wt is 4400 you can put 2450 inside or on top, including tongue weight from the trailer.

Here are two examples of different potential max loads.

4400 curb wt. 5,000 lb trailer. assume 10% tongue weight giving 4900 on the truck, you have gross combined weight of 9400. this leaves you 600 lbs to put in the truck (people included!). even though the vehicle weight is still almost 2,000 lbs under its limit.

or

4400 curb, 3,600 lb trailer. gross combined is 8,000, on truck is somewhere around 4800 @~10% tongue weight. With this you could add roughly 2,000 lbs inside or on top of the truck, which would max out both your gvrw and gcvwr.

not exact numbers here, just examples of a how to figure how to get the most out of your capacities.

I am unsure of the max for the hitch itself, I think it's 5,000 lbs with a 500 lbs tongue weight. Someone else may know this for sure.

11. thebrakeman

thebrakeman Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Canton, Michigan
    2006 Mercury Mountaineer
    Just remember to use the loaded weight (or a good estimate) for the trailer, NOT the published dry/empty weight. Start with the 10,000 lb combined GCVWR, and subtract all of your known weights:
    -actual weight of vehicle (found on door sticker)
    -actual weight of driver, passengers, and any cargo you put in the Explorer.

This will leave you with the true remaining tow capacity, for the total loaded trailer. Polls have found that most campers (not including full-timers in Motorhomes or 5th-wheels), end up with their loaded trailers being 600-1000 lbs over the dry weight. So to be conservative, subtract 1000 lbs from that remaining tow capacity, and that should be your limit for a dry camper.