1. Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

shoppinjg for a new cb

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by Tank, September 25, 2000.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Tank

Tank Active Member

does anyone have a recomendation for what cb i should by ?

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. leebo

leebo Moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Mingo Junction, OH
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1994 Explorer Sport
    what do you want. I myself love cobera cb's. They seem to be built to last and have the range to go with it. In my explorer I didn't want a huge bulky radio in there so I went with the remote mounted cb. It's got a small box you mount somewhere and a handheld mic with all the controls in the mic. I gave up some range on it but I think its a cleaner looking install.

4. Tank

Tank Active Member

just the best

room is not an issue ....im mostly looking for features, reliability, and range capability.

5. leebo

leebo Moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Mingo Junction, OH
    1994 Explorer Sport
    check out this link. It's to cobra's web page. They've got a ton with some nice range. You're not going to beat a ham radio though....but for a cb they're nice

http://www.cobraelec.com

6. 2001ExpSport

2001ExpSport Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Chicago, Il
    2001 Sport
    Cheap name, but works just the same

I just bought a Radio Shack 40/9/19 Channel CB.......ya ya ya, laugh it up......anyways, $100 for everything. CB, antenna, cable, ant. mount and spring. Has max allowable power and works damn good, just as well as a cobra. It's about the size of a portable CD player and I mounted it right under the dash on the right side, fit's perfect.

[Edited by 2001ExpSport on 09-25-2000 at 06:42 PM]

7. Tank

Tank Active Member

side band or weather ?

since there is no model that i like that has both side band and weather ..... so ......... which should i go with ?

8. Ray Lobato

Ray Lobato Moderator Moderator Emeritus

2006 Honda Accord
  9. Ray Hutchinson

Ray Hutchinson Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Dana Point, CA
    '93 XLT
    CB's

2001ExpSport:

Don't worry about the Rat Shack CB. Generally their products are OK., in spite of what some may say.! You usually get what you pay for, and assuming you got your set up on sale, or even not, you should have reasonably good quality for $100. Sure, you can get radios with more "bells and whistles" for more $, but you'll probably find that you don't use those features.

Tank:

If you can't get SSB and WX channels in the same radio, or in one you like, My advice would be to go with the Weather channel radio. You can use it on multiple day trips to keep up on the forecasts. Every area has weather hazards that is is best to be aware of and prepared for when wheelin'. Here in the So Cal deserts we have to be alert for flash flood conditions, for instance. As for SSB, I've been wheeling for about 10 years, and have never used it yet, even though I have the capability, most folks don't , so I have to stay in the AM mode to talk to the others in the group. SSB might be a useful feature If you wheel in Mexico frequently, because the CB bands are so crowded down there, the AM channels are often useless, but anymore they are crowding into the SSB channels as well. Another situation would if you consistently wheel with a group that ALL have SSB radios, but that doesn't happen too often.

10. Tank

Tank Active Member

thanks !

thanks for all the input i belive i have made my decision
    i going for the midland 77-255esp ...it has 10 weather channels , 3 channel memory, rf gain and mic gain, the only thing it doesnt have that i would like it to is a swr clibration but thats not a big deal

11. Ray Hutchinson

Ray Hutchinson Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Dana Point, CA
    '93 XLT
    Midland

Tank, Midland is a well established mfg. of radio equipment, not only CB, but marine, and commercial land mobile. I think you will be satisfied. The WX channels are a good choice ,IMHO.