Should a 2002 Transmission be serviced? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Should a 2002 Transmission be serviced?

Toshack

Reaction score
City, State
Moe, Victoria
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V8
Reading so many problems with auto trannies I decided to have mine serviced - (2002 V8 4.6 Explorer with 90K km (57k miles)) in the hope that it would extend its life and avoid all, or most, of those problems in future.

My mechanic - whom I trust - came back and said that Ford's recommendation is to NEVER service the transmission!!! and that to do so is expensive

Presumably not as expensive as a new trannie down the track - but could a service actually do harm???

I'm a great believer in preventative maintenan ce - but why should the manufacurer recommend it never be serviced? From all the comments it is clearly it is not THAT good:D

Any ideas please? I'm in Australia btw

Many thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Find another mechanic....
57,x.. is a little to long for a change but I'd say go ahead and get it flushed. Not changing the fluid is stupid. That's just asking for problems. Flushing can bring up problems that were already there from not having the fluid changed often enough, but I think you'll be ok at only 57,x..

Many thanks The guy was just quoting Ford and thinking to save me money so he's OK - and I've had no problems with the tranny...yet. Just wanted to be sure that a service would not actually do more harm than good. They drain the fluid and replace, change the filter, road test and adjust, etc. It seems that in Oz the replacement fluid costs around $300.00

Agree, time to find a competent mechanic. Ford's recommended transmission
fluid change at 150K is asking for trouble IMO. You're at the perfect interval
for a pan drop and flush. Hopefully they will use the cool BG PF5 Flush Machine.

2002 Explorer Scheduled Maintenance Guide

Normal Schedule 150,000 Miles (Pages 31-32)
Change automatic transmission/transaxle fluid and filter

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/?link=002&urlfile=/pubs/content/~WO2EXP/~MUS~LEN/41/02nmgmg3e.pdf

BTW, my dealer charged $200 for the complete tranny service.
Included 20 quarts of Motorcraft Mercon V and MC filter. :thumbsup:

^ he doesn't live in America. I paid $175 for my '97 to get a flush.

You should actually change your fluid and your filters yearly. you're also supposed to change plugs and wires yearly. you had it since 02 never change the fluid you're definitely past due. man it takes about 8 quarts of fluid in a little bit of time. just got done doing my ex this year it's simple

Back