should dropping my trac affect my choice of aftermarket shocks? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

should dropping my trac affect my choice of aftermarket shocks?

wallytracs

Reaction score
City, State
Pearl City, Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XL Sport Trac
wuts up forcomm!

ya so, drop is going like this: 3"- front & back (for back 3" maybe 4" idky)

i was going through the forums & was interested in the sensatrac shocks by monroe... ???

pls help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lowering your Trac won't affect the rear shocks since the shocks are mounted to the spring u-bolt plate and it will remain in the stock position. You don't say if you're 4x4 or 4x2 but do not go 3" if 4x4 ! I doubt you'll have any problems on the front either if you're 4x2. You'll have to mod the sway bar end link lengths to match the drop or you'll be breaking them right and left.

If you are dropping by removing the torsion bolts, you are lucky to get 2.5 inches.
Beyond 2 inches, the ride quality will suffer and is very hard on the CV, if you're 4WD.
Besides riding on your bump stops you will kill suspension parts very fast. (Ball joints, etc.)
For more drop you will need do a torsion key flip or use reindexed lowering keys.
For lowered ST shocks check the Edelbrock's from EE, Doetsch Tech Nitro Slammers, or
Bilsteins from Summit. I've been using Sensa-Trac's front and rear for two years with my 3/2 drop without any problems.

Its a 4x2... & that brings me to my next question, sway bar?? I want to replace the stock ones but I need to know... what brand/type & if I shld replace just front/back/both

This is a great site for everything X, although I have to say the biggest ST fanatics are at MySportTrac.com
Shocks are the first essential Trac upgrade, followed by an aftermarket rear sway bar.
I have the Addco 633 and love it. Explorer Express offers their "X-Spec" model also, at a higher price.
The stock ST front sway bar is adequate, IMO. Upgrade the stock front end links with the Moog K7275. Check Amazon. Cheap and very effective.
These three upgrades will transform your Trac into a nimble beast, assuming you have decent tires. Unbelievable! Let me know if I can help you. Aloha.

I really appreciate the info, thanks u guys for your help!

Back