Should I buy an ex with 21k that just needed PCM/TCM reprogrammed? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Should I buy an ex with 21k that just needed PCM/TCM reprogrammed?

Darcie

Reaction score
City, State
Mpls, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V8, 2007 Ltd. V8
Posted previously about my 02 Ex that Ford couldn't figure out, so now I just decided to buy a different one, a newer one.

Found a 2007 Limited with V8, 21,000 miles, but upon reviewing the service recs, found it has just had the PCM and TCM (it listed both) reprogrammed, because during a test drive at the dealership it lurched forward like it had been hit from behind when coming to stop. It listed the issue as "Ok now".

After just dealing with major problems, possibly tranny related, on my last one, the last thing I want is another problem with a trans. Is this a fairly common or benign issue, or is it a sign of deeper problems around the corner?

I am supposed to pick up the new ex on Friday.
Thanks everyone, I appreciate your imput.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First, is it priced cheaper than it ought to be, based on year and miles? If yes, lurking problems might explain price.

PCMs are not a major, major issue, I think, and if problems with the computer persist, a new one can be easily thrown in. Also, should this vehicle not be still under warranty? I've lost track of that issue, so excuse my ignorance there.

Would I buy it? Very likely, Yes. imp

Less than 1 month of bumper to bumper left. Don't have any idea if the drivetrain warrty of 60 mo/6 years would cover further issues there?

I think I got a good deal on it, was listed at $25,999 (list in '07 was 38k), I ended up getting it for 23,875. It's a 2007 V8 Limited, loaded. Only 21k miles on it, I got all the service recs from the dealership, regular oil changes, etc. Orig. owners just traded it in for a truck. I do have a concern if it was used to tow heavy stuff, has the class 111/1V hitch and package, but no way to really know on that. Thanks.

the 4th gens are great trucks darc! AND the 6r60 trans in the v8 is the same 6 speed trans that go into the expidition and then f150, so even if it was used to tow some heavy stuff i almost gaurantee its totaly fine. Its a great trade up, i almost bought an 06 EB 4.6L a few years ago, i wish i had honestly.

the bump that your feeling is a programing issue if it was done it was done improperly the KAM was not cleared after programing these are good vehicles and have very few problems and the programing does correct this bump.

Great news. I have not actually driven it myself, I'm buying it out of state, and will check it out Friday. The service dept. noted on the serv. recs that it performed the adaptive shift strategy and apparently it is fine. Just wanted to see if it was a big deal. :)

Back