Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

should i replace it or drive it til it breaks?

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by baehan, October 3, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. baehan

baehan Member

City, State:
      Tempe, AZ
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      92 XLT 4WD
      the speed governor is still sticking. i took it to my mechanic and he said that the fluid had some metal traces in there. i got the transmission flushed and went back after a month to check on the fluid. he said that there was some metal filings still coming back. is it the filings that continue to get the speed governor stuck? is it likely that he didn't flush everything out? the speed governor will be fine for a month after the fluid change, but then the symptoms will begin again. i have to drive it to 4k rpms before it will finally kick out of first (on a cold engine). after that...everything is fine. what could be causing the metal shavings? will replacing the speed governor remedy the situation? should i just replace the speed governor anyway. is there anything i can add to the fluid to help with the situation? how much is it to replace the transmission if i just drove it til the transmission is dead? thanks guys for all your help.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Crankcase

Crankcase Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Vancouver B.C, Canada
      1992 XL Ex-Police
      It would definitley be cheaper to replace the govenor, than spend 1500 for a rebuild later:eek:

4. jimbo74

jimbo74 Elite Exploder Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      2001, F150, XLT 4x4
      i thought the governor has nothing to do with the tranny itself, but is a computer actuated shutoff function.... is the speed gov damaged or are you refering to the torque converter?

5. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      A 4k 1-2 shift will kill a cold engine in short order. Add an engine to the $1,500+ for your trans if ya don't get it fixed.;)

6. Opera House

Opera House Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Cincinnati, OH
      2014 Explorer 3.5L base
      Add an inline filter

I just put one of the oil filter types tp my 5R55E cause it's starting to show a little metal in the pan. Just about ready to open the filter at 4K and see how it's working. On my 92 A4LD, the lockup in the TC went out and I went for years changing the fluid every eight months. I put four extra magnets in the pan and they would get thickly covered in metal powder. It never did fail. Pulling the transmission now because the fluid looks like motor oil in only a month. Did drop the reverse servo piston and it had almost 1/4 inch of sediment in it. I found four needle bearings in the filter of another A4LD and it still drove without a sound. Funny how some will stop with just a speck of dust!

7. baehan

baehan Member

City, State:
      Tempe, AZ
      92 XLT 4WD
      jimabena74...i have the same symptoms as the post of the SPEED GOVERNOR WOES http://www.glue.umd.edu/~singletn/web/pages/at2.html . that's why i assumed that it was the speed governor. i do not know too much about the mechanics of what is going on. i do not know if the speed gov is damaged.

operahouse...did you put an oil filter on the transmission? i don't understand what you did. could you clarify please?