Shredding Drivebelts

LJSOU812

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer XLT
I've just lost a second drivebelt on my Explorer. I had to put a new one on just over two weeks ago because the old one shredded to pieces. Now the new drivebelt has just done the same thing.

I know what the first question is going to be, and yes it was installed correctly. I am just wondering if this is a fluke or if there might be something causing this to happen. There's no visible damage to any of the pulleys, so I am at a loss.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had this problem on my 88. One pulley had a sharp edge. Sanding it a little didn't seem to help. I had to buy another one.

Does every pully spin freely? Could be a bad tensioner or idler.

I got to vote for tensioner too. I had the same thing with my last Explorer, I changed the belt without checking anything and it got tossed a few days latter.

Thanks for the input. I've got a tensioner on order for me to recieve tomorrow morning. Even if that's not it, it'll give me a spare on the shelf for when I do need it.

I too suspect the belt tensioner.

Good luck ....

Boy...I would think you would hear something if it was a tensioner though, don't you guys? Is everything tight and staying aligned? With the belt off, check all pulleys for damage and replace as necessary.

It did turn out to be the tensioner. It wasn't really making much of any noise, but when I took a closer look (like I should have done the first time) I noticed some play in the tensioner. The pulley was fine, but the part that provides the tension had some play to it. It was especially notible when I had the thing in a vise and I could move it around easier.

I deffinitely appreciate the responses I recieved.

Thanks for the update!

Back