Shudder when going thru 45-50mph | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shudder when going thru 45-50mph

skeeter123

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4.6L
My 2002 XLT 4.6L 5R55W with 150K miles on has a shudder when accelerating normally through 45-50 mph. I had ATF changed at 98K (dealer) and 147K (DIY). It's had this shudder for years, lately its been getting somewhat worse. Doesn't happen under heavy acceleration, if I play with the gas pedal I can avoid it; but it always happens when accelerating "normally" through 45-50mph. I thought it was OD band, adjusted it per the procedure, noticed that it was quite loose, meaning that after torqueing it to 120in/lbs and backing out 2 turns, it was significantly more "in" than when I started (guessing at least 1 1/2 turns). Now here's the question: Is it normal for the "adjusting screw" to be really loose after backing out 2 turns? When I torque it down to 120in/lbs, its obviously tight, but when I go to back it out it feels really loose after only 1/2 to 3/4 turns. Does this mean that the OD band material is really worn off? I've considered trying it backed out only 1/2, 3/4, or 1 full turn, is that a good idea? I don't want to break anything. Adjusting it to 2 turns did help, but didn't completely eliminate the shudder.
I also had the PCM software updated recently, didn't help this problem. Would replacing the solenoid pack address this problem? Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In short, Skeeter, I don't have a clue, but I'll give you a bump and log in to lurk this thread.

I also am not in a position to help much on this one, but I do have interest in it myself and would like to know the answer as well.

Have you tried posting this in the "Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials" section?

Tom

Posted to "Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials" section.

Posted to "Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials" section.
Sorry that would be double posting - I've deleted the copy and have moved this one to the Trans section instead.

Would replacing the solenoid pack address this problem? Any response would be greatly appreciated.

I have the same problem. I plan to replace the solenoid pack and see if it makes any difference. I'll post the results.

I have the same problem. I plan to replace the solenoid pack and see if it makes any difference. I'll post the results.

So I finally got around to replace the solenoid pack. I got a bad one; started having the other issues such as described here: http://explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263305&. Codes P0735 and P0775. O/D light flashing, delayed shift into 2nd and no O/D. I put the original solenoid back in since the original symptoms aren't that bad. Pretty pissed I wasted a whole afternoon on my back in the driveway for nothing.:thumbdwn:

Back