Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

:sigh: Another LED bites the dust... and Ford's answer blows

Discussion in 'Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU' started by PIUtility, February 7, 2015.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. PIUtility

PIUtility Guest

Allow me to elaborate. I bought my PI Utility fully optioned for work, and I use the emergency lighting regularly. The Ready for the Road package is nice mainly since I bought the vehicle as a demo and the hefty discount overcame the ridiculous price for it.

That said, I'm about to go in for my 2nd replacement Wigwag/ Park-Turn-Warning light. And what my dealership tells me boils my piss. Not only is my warranty about up, the factory AND aftermarket extended warranties will not cover the cost after the car is beyond 36k miles.

What makes me want to Hulk-smash the parts desk is the fact these are $700 A PIECE, something made by Whelen that used to be $300 A SET. And because of the back-handed deal Ford made for these, I cannot in any way shape or form get these outside of a Ford parts center. And Whelen who even has their own part numbers and sticker on these units, cant warranty out or do an in-house repair on them.

Blow it out your backside Ford for this one. There is no excuse for this. Even the $70 red and blue LED lights are more than $200 from the parts counter. :thumbdwn:

:pushing away from the computer now:

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Sgt1411

Sgt1411 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      VanBC/GoodyearAZ
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2017 Explorer SPORT
      Washington DC Police replaced over 300 of the Whelen Park/Turn/Warn bulbs.

Big issues since thats an $800 option when you order them.

Any chance one of the other big lighting vendors makes a replacement bulb?

Sound Off, FedSig, Code3,.........

4. PIUtility

PIUtility Guest

Nope, nothing plug and play or meant to be used like this. Whelen had the market on this one here, and its totally bogus for both Whelen to turn its back on issues, and Ford to sit there with hands out.

FordService, if you're reading this, please be aware I'll be contacting CS over this issue, and that I will never again recommend this package or lighting solution to anyone in the future unless something is changed. Paying this kind of money is RIDICULOUS

5. jmr061

jmr061 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Wisconsin
      16 Edge
      Pr-16 Exp Sport
      It is a factory ordered item and is covered under the 3/36. If you have an extended warranty are they saying its not covered because its a light bulb? I would argue against that. They are $300 a piece through Tasca.

6. jmr061

jmr061 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Wisconsin
      16 Edge
      Pr-16 Exp Sport
      I should ask, what function of them is going bad?

7. Repro77

Repro77 New Member

City, State:
      Ontario
      2013 PI Utility
      That can't be right. $700 EACH??

holy.....

8. PIUtility

PIUtility Guest

Blinker... Went fast blinking then took a look in a parking lot and its very dim and solid on with barely noticeable dimming/blinking. This is the warranty item they replaced a month ago when the damn thing started blinking bright white instead of amber

9. jmr061

jmr061 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Wisconsin
      16 Edge
      Pr-16 Exp Sport
      If you have the OEM jumpers for the typical bulbs put those in and eliminate the BCM as the problem.

10. PIUtility

PIUtility Guest

I have. It seems to be another flasher unit for the PTW gone bad.

11. jmr061

jmr061 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Wisconsin
      16 Edge
      Pr-16 Exp Sport
      Too bad the utility ones are different from the sedan ones. I have a set sitting here.

12. PIUtility

PIUtility Guest

I'll get this one replace under warranty, but the dealership tells me these arent covered past 3/36

13. FordService

FordService Official Ford Rep

City, State:
      Dearborn, MI
      I understand your frustration, PIUtility. Reach out to me via PM and I'll document your feedback about the lights in our system. I'll need your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, dealership, and any specifics you'd like me to include. I'll do the rest. :thumbsup:

Crystal

14. Dexter Keefer

Dexter Keefer New Member

City, State:
      Boston, MA
      2014 Explorer
      Hi, PIUtility.. Did you ever resolve this issue ? I have the same problem, fast blinking, no turn signal, Ford Parts had no clue what I was asking for. Are there any alternatives to a 800 dollar replacement part? Thanks
      DK

15. kobresia

kobresia Member

City, State:
      Black Hawk
      2013 PI Utility
      You can almost certainly find replacements for a 2013-15 Interceptor on the cheaper side from wrecked vehicles. If you don't need the flashers, you could downgrade to regular non-RftR headlight assemblies which are super common and don't look any different at a glance. A little bit of wire splicing might be required.

• Like Like x 1
    16. expoman55

expoman55 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Upstate NY
      2015 Explorer Sport
      Guys I am sorry for what you are going through. Have you contacted Whelen directly ? Not that it is any consolation however my daughter has a stock bmw and a driver on a rear turn went out 795, from BMW 75. rebuilt on Ebay. Maybe on the used market you can find one. ?