1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Simple Photoshop Question (updated 12/24)

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by Robb, December 21, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Robb

Robb Explorer Addict

Believe me, I know I am an idiot when it comes to this stuff! :D But I am not trying anything fancy here, just basic stuff.

I need to create a few "letter" sized canvas' with three individual pictures on it. I have taken all the pictures, but I am having a terrible time trying to move these pictures on a single canvas, while maintaining the original sizes of the pictures. :confused: For example, I have this one pic that I have resized numerous times, but no matter what size it is when I select/copy it, when I paste it on the new canvas, it comes up tiny (about 1.5"x2"). But I put another pic on that canvas it it pasted much larger, but not as large as I would like it.

So, I guess my questions become these. Is there some sort of special sizing I need to go through before copy/paste this pics onto the new canvas? I am moving them by using the marquee tool, then just copy and paste, is this right? Is there a way that I can change the sizing of the individual pics after I move them onto the new canvas?

Thanks for any help here guys! If I can actually get this done and make it look good, it will save me a trip up to DC on Christmas Eve-Eve!!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. dman726749

dman726749 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Greenwood Indiana
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      96 xlt
      when you copy and paste soemthing the item you copy needs to be the same resolution as the place where you are going to paste it, if you dont you will get some things larger and some smaller than you want

4. section525

section525 sextion525 Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Red Bluff, Ca
      1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
      You need to make sure your two different canvases are the same dpi. Go to IMAGE and then to IMAGE SIZE (I think) and make sure both are the same number. LIke 72 or 150, or 200, maybe 302.. :D

Or you can just go to IMAGE then down to TRANSFORM.. then SCALE.. to make the pasted image as big/small as you want it.

Oh yeah.. all these locations depend on the version of PS you're using.. but you get the idea.

5. dmasini

dmasini Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Raleigh, NC
      2001 XLT
      Simply scaling your image will distort the pixels, either making them blurred the bigger you scale or sharp when making an image smaller. If your working with Photoshop CS and click [image], then [image size] you can work with the pixel dimensions to change the pixel size of your image. At the bottom you'll see a drop-down for resampling the image. If you make the image bigger choose bicubic softer in the dropdown. Making the image smaller you woulf choose bicubic sharper. Doing this blends the pixels better and you'll get a photo that doesn't look distorted.

Otherwise, if you don't have CS I would work it over with the unsharp mask (filter, sharpen, Unsharp Mask...)

Hope this helps!

6. Robb

Robb Explorer Addict

Excellent advice guys!! The pics came out great, just as I wanted them. :thumbsup:

I have another request, and I know that not a lot of people are spending their Xmas Eve in front of the computer, but hopefully someone can help out.

THIS IS AN IMPORTANT REQUEST!!!

I need to create a pic or two to place into a "locket" for the wife. Due to some recent events, this locket and the pics will be very sentimental to her. I need to resize a couple of pics down to somewhere around 1/2"x1/2".

What are my best possible settings to achieve the best tiny pic? From above, I definately need to go to "bicubic sharper" in this situation correct? Do I need to be at a VERY high resolution in this sittuation?

TIA and Merry Christmas!!

7. Nate1

Nate1 All 4 wheels locked

City, State:
      Gainesville/Tampa, FL
      '96 FZJ-80
      Use bicubic sharper, and a resolution of ~ 300dpi to work with... when you print make sure you turn quality / dpi settings all the way up on your printer. That should give you some pretty darn good resolution.