1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Single knock under load *WEIRD!!

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by Creager, December 17, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Creager

Creager Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Charlotte, NC
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '92 Sport 4x4
      Everytime my truck gets that initial load a knocking sound is heard. It almost sounds like a (metal) slapping noise. I dont know man, its been occuring for over a year, it hasnt got any louder, it hasnt changed in tone or anything and its always garenteed to happen, i could set my watch by it.

I checked all the drive line. Wheel joints to the transmission, everything is tight and snug. I thought it might be the exhaust; i got under there an bent the exhaust shield back at all the choak points and i still got no change (THAT WAS NOT EASY!).

So im in the same place i was a year ago, what the hell is making that noise?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. IZwack

IZwack Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Germantown, MD
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1998 Ford Explorer
      I've read a few threads that matches what you've said - though it can still be many many things. Anyways, what I'm thinking is that you're rear drive shaft has gone dry. I forgot what it's called but its the joint that allows you to advance your driveshaft forwad (relative to the car's chasis) a little bit when you want to disconnect it from the rear differential. There are a few threads on this forum on how to grease this joint up. Try this first - its relatively cheap to do and shouldn't take too long.