Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Slapping/clapping noise

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by ryster, July 21, 2001.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. ryster

ryster New Member

City, State:
    Southeastern, PA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS
    Hi!

I currently have a '00 Explorer XLS 4WD with the 4.0L OHV engine. 10,600 miles.

I have been bothered by a loud slapping/clapping noise coming from the vacinity (near as I can tell) of the drivers door (I can't tell if it is on the underside or from the A pillar). It is like a quick, sharp single handclap. I haven't had the dealer look at it because it is random. It happens sometimes when I turn right. It happens sometimes going over little dips in the road, or sometimes going over bigger bumps. In fact, even though I have been living with it for several months it still surprises me when I hear it because it doesn't happen consistently. All I know is it is very loud when it does happen.

Has anyone else experienced something similar with their trucks? If so was it an easy fix? I am hoping it gets worse, actually, so the dealer can work on it under warranty and actually hear the noise when I take it in. The noise is starting to get to me despite the random nature of it.

Any ideas? Thanks!!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. JDraper

JDraper Somewhat Functional Moderator Emeritus

Media:
    City, State:
    McVeytown, PA
    '18 XLT
    Try this thread. It might help. Torsion Bar Adjusters

Off the subject, do you know where Gerhold's Auto Sales is in Gilbertsville?? My wife's uncle owns it. Small world :)

4. Perry

Perry Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Loveland Co.
    1994 XLT
    Do you have power windows? It could be that the motor is loose and you only hear it once in a while. Just an idea

5. ryster

ryster New Member

City, State:
    Southeastern, PA
    2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS
    Thanks so much for the link to the thread! It sounds like this may be the cause of the noise. Next time I have the oil changed I will ask them to visually inspect the left front torsion bar adjuster for wear while they have it up on the lift. I'll also give them the TSB info from the thread.

Yes, I do know of Gerhold's. A very small world indeed!!!

Again, thank you very much!!!

6. ryster

ryster New Member

City, State:
    Southeastern, PA
    2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS

This is an idea to pursue as well. I have noticed that both front doors have acquired a constant "ticking" in them as of late (again random depending on temperature). It could be there are some loose components rattling around in the doors.

It is a nuisance to have to deal with such things after only 10,600 miles. I would expect this sort of thing at maybe 50,000 or so. Oh well, I'll just have to get some use out of the warranty Ford provides ;-)

Thanks!