• Register Today It's free!

Slave Cylinder and what else?

Evicerate

Reaction score
City, State
KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Well, happy holidays to everyone. Mine isn't so happy as it would seem that my slave cylinder has gone out again and I need to know what to get replaced, etc.

Currently I have a 1994 XLT 4x4 with approx. 117K miles on it. At about 90K I had the clutch and all of the other goodies like the master and slave cylinders, bearings, pressure plate, etc replaced all at once.
Then, a year later, I had to have the slave cylinder replaced again, as it went out. Fortunnately it was under warranty and its been fine until now. :fire: This time it isn't a slow leak where I can top off the resevoir and drive to the shop. I topped off the resevoir and the fluid is gone again in a matter of seconds. I have no pressure in my clutch pedal, so I'm assuming its the slave cylinder again. Also, I can't see a fluid leak, as there's 10 inches of snow beneath the Ex and the fluis is clear :(

So, here are a few questions I have for you guys:

Can I be doing something wrong to kill my slave cylinders so quickly?

Is this just a case of a cheap part that's crapped out? (previous warranty was only for a year, so the current slave cylinder is NOT under warranty)

Will I be ok to get the slave cylionder alone replaced, since the other parts have under 30K miles on them? If not, what else should be done while the tranny's off?

Thanks a bunch to anyone who has some insight.

Evicerate said:
Can I be doing something wrong to kill my slave cylinders so quickly?
The slave cylinders are pretty much junk. They have been re-engineered again and again. Still they fail. How hard can it be to make a reliable slave cylinder?

Evicerate said:
Will I be ok to get the slave cylionder alone replaced, since the other parts have under 30K miles on them? If not, what else should be done while the tranny's off?

If you are still under warranty I think all they will replace is the deffective part. You should be ok.

I appreciate the response.
Unfortunately the part is no longer under warranty.

I agree, how hard is it to make a decent part? The first one lasted 90K miles, why do the others not even last 20K miles?
And you'd think that if you had such a consumable part youd put it OUTSIDE where a tranny drop is not needed.

Thanks

Back