Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Slide Scanners

Discussion in 'Cameras, Cell Phones, and Electronic Gadgets' started by shamaal, March 8, 2009.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. shamaal

shamaal Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Friensdwood, Texas
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    91 Mazda Navajo
    Mrs. Shamaal has run out of things to do with her time, so I recommended she scan 40 years of slides and photos before they decay any further.

At one time I had settled on the Nikon Coolscan V @ $600. Looking them up now, it appears they are no longer in production. The replacement seems to be Coolscan 5000 @ $1000. I thought the price of electronics is supposed to go down over time?

At any rate anyone have any experience with medium priced slide/negative scanners please post. The majority of the slides are in Kodachrome. I imagine Minolta and Cannon make a scanner also. I'm not a professional by any means, so I don't need the expensive types.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Rick

Rick Pumpkin Pilot Staff Member Admin Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Wayoutin, Aridzona
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
    Callsign:
    AB7FH
    Good slide scanners have always been expensive. The market is limited since barely anyone shoots film of any kind these days.

I have a Minolta Dimage which is more than 6 years old. I hate it... Too much post scan work was needed to correct the problems with each individual slide. I used it for a short time then put it away. I barely scanned anything with it. Too frustrating:( I'm sure they're better now, but I really don't want to spend 1k to find out.