Sloppy Steering and Shuddering over Bumps | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sloppy Steering and Shuddering over Bumps

mbrando1994

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Ex XLT
4.0 V6
Hi all,

This is on an AWD 2003 Explorer XLT with the 4.0L engine

I've been noticing a problem getting progressively worse over time. The steering seems to be getting more erratic and sloppy each and every day. I can still control it well, but it is a struggle to keep it dead center in a lane sometimes over bumps and sharp turns. It seems like the steering is all over the place sometimes I have to overcorrect and sometimes undercorrect to navigate turns correctly. The steering feels tight and loose at the same time. Returnability to center after a turn is poor, makes it 80% of the way then just stays turned never returning without me doing it manually. At the same time though it feels like the steering is jittery and loose when turning at speed. very sensitive.

After inspecting the system it does look like the outer tie rod boots are torn, could they be the culprit of all this mess? I certainly hope so, because I don't know how to work on that steering shaft. Also the bellow that fits around the intermediate shaft u joint is torn.

Also, when going over bumps the car shudders badly. It feels like an annoying vibration all throughout the body and cabin. Sometimes you can hear a clunk when hitting a large bump. What could these be caused by? No apparent play in either front tires, both front wheel bearings as well as a rear have been replaced, I replaced the end links, the sway bar bushings look a little too large for the bar? There's a gap between the bushing and the bar, is that bad? Also lastly, the passenger upper ball joints boot has come off of the fitting, not torn, but dislodged. Am I on the right track here or am I looking at a steering rack/column replacement?

Check and replace all tie rods as needed (there are some in rear too), replace all struts, check all sway bar bushings (front and rear, wheel and frame) replace as needed, then get a alignment. Also check ball joints.

or attempt to get the alignment first and let them tell you everything that needs to be replaced first.

Back