Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Slow arse Explorer

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by ukcat1, November 22, 2009.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
Tags:
  1. ukcat1

ukcat1 New Member

City, State:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1992 Ford Explorer XL
    Hello all, this is my first post to the forum. I have read many threads and can not find what I need so here goes.

I picked up a 1992 Explorer xlt with the 4.0 l OHV last month for a pretty good price from the original owner. I have since replaced the leaking valve cover gaskets, installed a new water pump(the old one was leaking from the weep hole) put in new Bosh wires and Bosh 2 plugs. I have also followed the Sea Foam post on here and cleaned the injectors and what not.

The problem I am having is when ever I try to merge on to the highway from an on ramp the fastest I can seem to get up to is 54 mph...she will get up to 80 once I am on the highway, just the merging issue is bugging me..and trying to pass someone going 60 in a 70 is a real pain too. I have been to a muffler shop, had them test the temps in front of and behind the cats, the reading were with in 9 degrees of each other so they think that cats may not be blocked. I am stumped adn could really use some help here. Thanks in advance.

PS, I am in CO if that helps and the explore just arrived here from Oregon..maybe the altitude is an issue?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Sams01XplrSprt

Sams01XplrSprt Southern Cali Explorer

City, State:
    Newport Beach California & Bay Area California
    2001 Sport (sold)
  4. MrQ

MrQ Take the Bull by the Horns Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Stafford, TX
    '93 Limited
    Callsign:
    MrQ
    Check your Filter and clean your MAF.

5. ukcat1

ukcat1 New Member

City, State:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    1992 Ford Explorer XL
    air filter is new, and clean. I may have left out one important thing..the explorer drives fine up to about 48 mph..then after that it seems to lose power..no passing power, less acceleration than it has under 45 mps.

Also, what do I use to clean the MAF?

Could it be a clutch pack slipping in the transmission?

Last edited: November 22, 2009
  6. geoph1986

geoph1986 Guest

You can clean your MAF with non-residue electrical contact cleaner. While you have it apart, you might want to consider swapping in a 70mm MAF housing, for more air flow. You can find them on 5.0l & 4.6l Mustangs & T-Birds. I got mine from a 3.8l Windstar. All you need to do this mod is to swap your MAF sensor into the larger housing, and bolt it back on the truck.

You might want to try adjusting your transmission kickdown cable. I had a major loss of power when trying to pass/merge and adjusting the cable worked for me. It was like night and day.
    BrooklynBay posted this on adjusting the kickdown cable:
    "It's a cable on the A4LD going to the accelerator pedal. Squeeze the piece which is under the hood near the master cylinder, and pull on it until you feel the cable is tight. Go into the vehicle, and step all of the way down on the accelerator pedal. It is now adjusted."

7. Currency

Currency Active Member

City, State:
    Bedford Indiana
    94 XLT 4x4
    You have to remember that an explorer is a 4,500 pound SUV with an under powered V-6. Mine doesn't have much getup and go after 45 either unless you floor it. I would say it may have more to do with the gear ratios in the transmission.

8. Mettler

Mettler Active Member

City, State:
    Monroe, WA
    98 exploder sport 4x4
    Try re-tightening the bands on the tranny. Find the thread about doing nit though. You dont want to over tighten.

9. ukcat1

ukcat1 New Member

City, State:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    1992 Ford Explorer XL
    Thanks for all the responses. I have adjusted the kickdown cable as instructed and will test it tomorrow on the way to work...as I have to merge on to the highway to get there, and will post the results tomorrow afternoon.

9:06am MST-
    Made it to work just fine, still was uable to get above 54 mph on the merge to the highway but I am now able to pass once I get up to speed...which is a big improvement...guess I will have to live with the slow merging speed. I will be doing a compression check this weekend, just to make sure teh engine has no unseen issues.

Last edited: November 23, 2009

We Support Our Troops!