Slow coolant loss on V8 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Slow coolant loss on V8

Hello,

I'm probably going to have to tackle this repair myself this coming weekend; figures cold weather is coming and NOW I have to work on my cars..

I can see wetness around the Y fitting and will start there in replacing parts; you mentioned in your post about a transcooler; I was under the impression this section of line was for the front and rear heater supply. Why did you have to disconnect the transcooler lines to perform this task?

Thank you!

The y fitting purchased worked perfect. It allowed me to trim back the used section of hose after cutting off the factory plastic clamps. Everything went back together nice except for the one stubborn trans cooler line quick connect. I've tried two different tools on it and gave up when it got dark. I'll start again in the morning. Those connectors are super easy and quick going on but stink to remove.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello,

I'm probably going to have to tackle this repair myself this coming weekend; figures cold weather is coming and NOW I have to work on my cars..

I can see wetness around the Y fitting and will start there in replacing parts; you mentioned in your post about a transcooler; I was under the impression this section of line was for the front and rear heater supply. Why did you have to disconnect the transcooler lines to perform this task?

Thank you!

ggomez2-
He had leaks on the radiator too and the tranny cooler lines going to the cooler in the radiator is what he was talking about since he had to replace the radiator to fix those leaks.

ggomez2-
He had leaks on the radiator too and the tranny cooler lines going to the cooler in the radiator is what he was talking about since he had to replace the radiator to fix those leaks.

That's correct. I don't see many of these vehicles with the original radiators locally. I would check it out closely too. Good luck.

Thank you both for your reply.. I've been lucky as mine is tight and clean as can be. I only have that leak in the "y" coupling.

One more question, do you really need to remove all those hoses to replace the coupler?
And how did you break those factory clamps?

That's correct. I don't see many of these vehicles with the original radiators locally. I would check it out closely too. Good luck.

Thank you both for your reply.. I've been lucky as mine is tight and clean as can be. I only have that leak in the "y" coupling.

One more question, do you really need to remove all those hoses to replace the coupler?
And how did you break those factory clamps?

I would take them all off to inspect them, it's not that hard. If you go back to some of my other pictures you can see the bands for the factory clamps where cut off using diagonal cutters where the small holes allow access.

th?&id=HN.608023878907268893&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.jpg

Thanks!

Thank you both for your responses. I am going to try to take care of this in the next few days. Trying to figure out if I need to drain the entire system since I only need to replace the "Y" fitting.

I would take them all off to inspect them, it's not that hard. If you go back to some of my other pictures you can see the bands for the factory clamps where cut off using diagonal cutters where the small holes allow access.

th?&id=HN.608023878907268893&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.jpg

My 2007 Explorer is leaking from the same exact "Y" fitting. I temporarily wrapped the whole thing in duct tape, but will probably tackle the repair sometime this week thanks to this thread. :thumbsup:

Good luck! Definitely not a quickie job; I actually couldn't find the "T" pipe locally and had to wait. I had tried to do the replacement "in place" and just couldn't get that done. Getting the hose to disconnect from the rear heater pipe from just behind the passenger tire was a chore for me. Hopefully it's straightforward for you.

My 2007 Explorer is leaking from the same exact "Y" fitting. I temporarily wrapped the whole thing in duct tape, but will probably tackle the repair sometime this week thanks to this thread. :thumbsup:

I had tried to do the replacement "in place" and just couldn't get that done.

I was hoping to get it done "in place" as well. GGomez, how did you remove the factory clamps?

HA! The factory clamps were the main reason I even wanted to chime in and spaced it,sorry! Those were a PITA....
I honestly wanted to save the hoses since those are special order as well, so I used a dremel tool then pried them off with a screwdriver, mostly because at that time I entertained the idea of doing it without removing the hose assembly altogether. There may be enough "excess" hose to snip them with a razor or utility knife if you cut them clean.

I was hoping to get it done "in place" as well. GGomez, how did you remove the factory clamps?

Getting the hose to disconnect from the rear heater pipe from just behind the passenger tire was a chore for me. Hopefully it's straightforward for you.
I'm still gathering the necessary parts and tools. GGomez2, did you have to jack up your Explorer in order to reach the rear heater hose?

Nope, just crawled under just behind front passenger tire.

Getting the hose to disconnect from the rear heater pipe from just behind the passenger tire was a chore for me.

I finally got around to tackling this today. I was able to avoid disconnecting the rear heater hose. I bought a decent pair of pvc/hose cutters and cut out the factory clamps at the T. Replaced one short section of cracked hose, and put it back together. So far so good, no leaking. :)

Mine's leaking from where the lower hose attaches to the "Y", as well. At first I thought the plastic clamp just wasn't holding sufficiently any longer, but now I'm wondering if the "Y" is cracked. What was it on all of yours?

It was the Y fitting for my truck

Argh. Not the answer I was looking for :mad: Appreciate the quick reply!

Appreciated this thread and the intent of saving some money. Started having the slow coolant loss on my '07 as well. Radiator had been replaced last year and no leaks since that had been replaced till now.

A quick look in the wheel well, and it was obvious this Y was leaking. Got the murray splice and other odds and ends and tried to tackle it tonight.

Unfortunately for me, it turns out that corrugated heat shield was burned through on mine, and the hose showed signs of deterioration. Ugh! Looks like I need the full part - not going to take a chance on an imperfect fit making contact with something it shouldn't. Not cool. Oh well, such is life I guess!

you never have to give them the satisfaction from having to buy the over priced part... there is always a way... replace more hose, wrap the hose in exhaust wrap.... place it inside another hose... ect.... dont give in the solution will present itself....

I could monkey around with it some more. On the other hand, I've already run around enough getting some odds and ends - clamps, replacement coolant, etc... Just want it done. So, to that end, part is ordered and sourced already locally. Just need to go pick it up. Boo!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Replacement part installed and all is good now. Two items:

1. The part is as expensive as it is because ford sells it as a whole assembly that could easily be broken into smaller pieces. It comes with the hard lines and rubber to attached to the front heater core. All of which is unnecessary for this repair.

2. No troubles with the lower hose - removal or reinstalling. I removed the wheel wheel liner that was easy to remove, and bent the other part out of the way. Removal was a snap after that (with the wheel off and raised on a jackstand anyways...)

Back