Smoke coming from engine driver's side :Help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Smoke coming from engine driver's side :Help!

naomi

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Ford explorer
Hey all,

I am new to this forum, but I was wondering if anyone could help me out. Anything will help!

So here is the background story:

My boyfriend owns a 99 ford explorer 4.0L EFI SOHC 6cyl. In january 2012, we bought a mazda 3 together and both used that as our primary car. The explorer sat around and we occasionally used it. The check engine light in the explorer had been on for a few months due to oxygen sensors, but he ignored it and I feel like that lead to more issues.

I decided to be proactive after the car was not running smoothly during acceleration. It was hesitating and lugging when it was trying to accelerate quickly or go up a hill. We took it to get the diagnostics test and a few codes came up including MAF sensor as #1 problem. Keep in mind, I am not a mechanic and I work full time. We worked on it when we had time and a few weeks seemed to turn into a few months of not using it. It would not start up.

After doing some research on here for diy, I replaced the MAF. Sadly, it did not start up like I hoped it would. We tried to jump start it, but it would not work. The lights came on and the electrical windows worked but there was only the familiar "machine gun" clicking sound.

Again, I did the research and read that it was either the battery or the starter solenoid.
I have to mention that when we were pushing the explorer in and out of our driveway the steering fluid cap became loose and a lot of the liquid poured out over some parts of the engine.

Today (may 26th), we finally took the battery to get tested and charged. We popped it in and the car started right up!! (YAY!!) We let the explorer Idle in our driveway and after a few minutes we smelled burning and saw some smoke coming from the rear driver's side of the engine (facing the car head on). We turned it off immediately. After letting the engine cool a few minutes, we tried it again. Same thing. A few minute after idling, you could smell burning and saw white smoke coming from the rear driver's side engine (more towards the driver's side but in the middle).

No engine light came on and the engine did not overheat (the temperature gauge never moved passed normal). There are no liquids leaking as far as I can tell. No liquids on the ground. After the engine has turned off there is this little sound you can barely hear sounds like hissing (high pitched) or a high whistle like air is leaking.

I'll attach a few pictures and a video asap! Thanks for reading my short novel.

th_20120526_143021.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if your ps fluid leaked the smoke and smell is just the fluid burning off the manifold...will need to let it completly burn off b4 this will stop, may take upwards of 20 to 45 mins depending on how much fluid was on them...

Thanks, I will keep trying to run it. I'm just scared of something catching fire and having a while new set of problems. Did you watch the video?

Ohv v6

To me your engine appears to be the OHV V6 instead of the SOHC V6 listed in your first post. The power steering fluid that leaked out could have dropped on the exhaust manifold as posted by wht2wd50. Wait and watch as the manifold heats up.

Ha, I asked him if he knew which one it was and he swore it was that, but you are probably right.

Do I need to run the car consecutively for 20-45 min? or would running it 5-10 min at a time work? I'm just scared of it catching fire!

run constint, should not catch fire

My Explorer does the same thing as you posted. Did you ever resolve this issue? What was the smoke coming from?

my 1996 xlt is doing same thing

my 1996 ford explorer is doing the same thing, drive vehicle engine gets warm turn off ignition smoke coming from engine front grill sides of each front tires.need some answers thank you all.

Back