Smoked Tail Light Tint | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Smoked Tail Light Tint

I decided to make my own smoked tail light tint. It is static-cling window film in 20% limo black from Wal-Mart, or i have seen it other places also. Then cut to fit. The tint is a thin static cling vinyl unlike real tint, so you can use and reuse them as many times as you want. The tint comes in a roll. It cost me $10.19, and hour of my time.

38688zz111.jpg

I made the templates by cutting a hole in a sheet of paper, taping it to the light and tracing the shape to the paper. Then I cut the shape and transferred it to the tinting.

38688zz10.jpg

This is a pic of the cut outs and the stock tail light. Make sure it is clean..

38688zz1.jpg

The tint is the vinyl, static type, but you still apply it like the regular window tint. You can use baby shampoo and bottled water to help you apply it. This is with the first one on the top..

38688zz2.jpg

This is it all done !

38688zz3.jpg

After several high pressure car washes, and high speed driving, mine is still sticking. Once the moisture is gone, they are not coming off until YOU take it off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i used the spray tint, got it at hobby lobby. but..... i got impatiant and needless to say it ran. looks ok from a distance, but up close u can tell that they are runny!
so take ur time. its a precious thing, the paint dont have much to hold to, so thin and slow is the way to go! and u can do a semi heavy coat at the end to get it dark. and then let it dry then clear coat it for protection and super shinieness. and there u go.

in the mean time im searching for a new set, so i can take my time and get it done right the second time around!

any thought about headlights, i would like to do it to them, but i have clear turn/corners and i dont want to mess em up. cause they are awesome lookin already, i dont know maybe a thin thin coat to give em some more bling!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

i know it not an explorer but thought id share it anyway these were done over a year before these pics! Wet sanded with 1600 grit paper. Applied the VHT Nightshades and shot some clear coat over it when it was done! And they were very visable for how dark they were. I plan on doin the explorer sometime this week

DSCN0896.jpg

is this legal to do to the lights?

Yes and No Yes it legal cause most states only regulate what color light is emitted but not the actual lens color. but it could be illegal because the reflector is not the right color now.

just my .02

Yes and No Yes it legal cause most states only regulate what color light is emitted but not the actual lens color. but it could be illegal because the reflector is not the right color now.

just my .02

It still usually reflects some form of a red color through the tint/smoking, so I'd imagine they are legal.

I'm not digging the tint, but then again I think it was a passing fad around a year or so ago. I don't think it looks great on light coloured Explorers, but as long as you like it that's all that matters. You can always get rid of it if you don't like it down the road. I sanded mine down and just went with the "candy apple" tails (i.e. just doing the amber sections). No tint. Looks better on my green Ex, IMHO.

Im getting the lower half of my truck painted blue...SS Blue...HarleyD F150 style

Done any Photoshop mock-ups? that could look interesting.

Quick question if anyone else looks at this...

When y'all are saying "clear-coat" are you using an actual clear coat for cars, or the clear stuff you can buy at walmart for a buck?

-Josh

just my .02

I know this is an old post, but I felt like throwing this in anyway. I've seen a lot of newer cars, including Mountaineers and certain Lexus models, with clear taillights stock. They have absolutely no red in them except for when they light up, they're just clear lenses with regular reflectors. So I'm guessing it doesn't matter much if car manufacturers are able to sell cars with lights like that.

Is it better to get the spray tint or the vinyl stuff like pughman?

I just want a light tint, nothing to dark.

Also I looked on e-bay and all the vinyl kits where precut for a set car...any universal kits out there?

I know this is an old post, but I felt like throwing this in anyway. I've seen a lot of newer cars, including Mountaineers and certain Lexus models, with clear taillights stock. They have absolutely no red in them except for when they light up, they're just clear lenses with regular reflectors. So I'm guessing it doesn't matter much if car manufacturers are able to sell cars with lights like that.

If you look on eBay you can find completely clear tail lights, but they are not sae/dot approved. the reflector color on the front doesn't matter but the tails need to be a shade of red.

If you look on eBay you can find completely clear tail lights, but they are not sae/dot approved. the reflector color on the front doesn't matter but the tails need to be a shade of red.

Yeah but just like axoim said, there are mercury montainers and lexus's that have taillights that are white clear and then they light up red when the lights are on or brake lights. so i guess as long as you can see my brake lights when i am breaking, they are legal, and off course they must be red. the tints will just make them 'darker' :p:

just my 2 centss

I just got mines done as well. It doesn't look too good when you see it up close but it looks great when your atleast 10FT away. I used 35% window Tints

Yeah I know it looks bad I am planning on doing it over during Spring Break.

This is with the lights without the any braking light.

and this is a bonus... I am thinking about getting the front passenger side windows tinted also.. It would like nice with the rain visors.

RC 294 Tint Spray

I used the RC 294 Tint Spray and 3 thin coats Blammo

04-09-08_16421.jpg

here is my 99 tails, done with VHT nightshades, its about 4 coats, its dark but clearly visable. i love the way they look! 4 coats of vht then about 9 coats of rattle can clear coat. then wet sanded with 1600 grit then 2000, buffed and polished to a glass shine!

i also did the 3rd brake light but i did about 6 coats, made it extra dark

these pics are with just the daytime running lights, not the brakelights

018.jpg

025.jpg

About 3 months l8er

Well here it is about 3 months l8er and with out clearing, they r starting to fade. It went from a nice almost solid black to a deep blood red(looks great anywayz)... Also did 3rd brake light... Looks like a row of LED's. Also a plus. But they will need to be redone and cleared but numerious compliments.....
You can get it at your local hobby shop........(trains, cars, boats, etc.)
RC 294
+++ be sure to let the tint spray set for a good 24 hours to burn out all the extra chem. Clear the NEXT day..

Back