Smoked Tail Light Tint | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Smoked Tail Light Tint

I decided to make my own smoked tail light tint. It is static-cling window film in 20% limo black from Wal-Mart, or i have seen it other places also. Then cut to fit. The tint is a thin static cling vinyl unlike real tint, so you can use and reuse them as many times as you want. The tint comes in a roll. It cost me $10.19, and hour of my time.

38688zz111.jpg

I made the templates by cutting a hole in a sheet of paper, taping it to the light and tracing the shape to the paper. Then I cut the shape and transferred it to the tinting.

38688zz10.jpg

This is a pic of the cut outs and the stock tail light. Make sure it is clean..

38688zz1.jpg

The tint is the vinyl, static type, but you still apply it like the regular window tint. You can use baby shampoo and bottled water to help you apply it. This is with the first one on the top..

38688zz2.jpg

This is it all done !

38688zz3.jpg

After several high pressure car washes, and high speed driving, mine is still sticking. Once the moisture is gone, they are not coming off until YOU take it off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I tried the aircraft stuff last night...Good is the tint came off:thumbsup: bad news is so did dome of the plastic:( Now they look frosted and ruff:thumbdwn:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

ouch... I've used regular paint thinner to get the tint of the reverse lights and it works perfectly.

anyone ever tint the headlights?

Thanks

I have a can of nightshade ready to go and start spraying my tail lights.
But i wanted to see what the go with putting a clear coat on afterwards?

I dont want to mess around taking the lights off, coating them with nightshade, putting them back on.. all so I have to take them off again to put the clear coat on after.

Does it do anything?
or just give it a glossier look?

and what sort of clear coat stuff should I get.
Super Cheap Auto (aus)
has cans of clear paint stuff for like, $4, and then other cans for like $18.
Just wondering if its worth getting the more expensive stuff

I think the $18 one is like, clear vinyl paint

If your still wondering how to get the 3rd light off?
You have to take the 2 bolts that hold the glass off and go behind the light, pop off the rubber cover and unscrew 2-3 screws. I recently did this to mine and it looks GREAT

Heres mine, i used the 7 coats of VHT Nightshade, and a coat of clear.
blaccedout3copy.jpg

copyblaccedout.jpg

blaccedout2.jpg

Turned out really good :)

They look pretty nice RobClay, Perfect job.

I've just repainted mine, threw 6 coats on the existing coat (came off due to weather) and then threw some matte finsh clear coat on it, now the weathers not taking them and they look perfect daytime and night.

They look pretty nice RobClay, Perfect job.

I've just repainted mine, threw 6 coats on the existing coat (came off due to weather) and then threw some matte finsh clear coat on it, now the weathers not taking them and they look perfect daytime and night.

Preciate it :) got any pics?
I also painted the 3rd brake light and that plastic grey peice on the trunk. and all the windshield wipers on the car.

Took this one with my phone, only one I got right now, I'll take some pictures later on this week or next week after claybar and a wax job.
They look much darker in person and lights up the same way it did stock.

I've seen a lot of newer cars, including Mountaineers and certain Lexus models, with clear taillights stock. They have absolutely no red in them except for when they light up, they're just clear lenses with regular reflectors. So I'm guessing it doesn't matter much if car manufacturers are able to sell cars with lights like that.

There are many vehicles that have all clear tail light lenses with no reflectors in them (Mountaineer, Lexus, Mazda to name a few), red or white. There is a reason for this. The US does require a red reflector, but it is not required in the tail light lens. Most manufactures put it there because that is the easiest place to put it, but next time you see a vehicle without a red reflector in the tail light lens, look below the tail lights, they will be by themselves. In fact, if you take the rear bumper off of the Mountaineer (where the reflectors are located), the vehicle then becomes illegal.

If you are worried about the law and the red reflector, go to the auto parts store and buy a red reflector and put it wherever you want, as long as it is visible from the rear and side rear.

where do u get that black rc paint at and do u have to use clear coat after for the shin or does the paint it self dry shinny

where do u get that black rc paint at and do u have to use clear coat after for the shin or does the paint it self dry shinny

Try RC Car shops, or ebay, amazon.

After the rc spray, you can leave it as is but it will start coming off in a few months it does dry shinny but do about 3 coats of clear after the rc paint dries up.

is rc paint the only paint thats will work

ok team, so are we painting the outside? or painting the inside? usually on the RC cars you paint the inside...

Here's my tails that I did this week. I used VHT Niteshade. This is my third set of tails that I've done like this and then I did my girlfriend's on her Avenger right after these.
My Process
  1. Taped off reverse light
  2. Sanded whole surface with 800 grit
  3. Cleaned surface
  4. Sprayed one light coat
  5. Sprayed 2 medium coats
  6. Sat for 3 hrs and then wet-sanded with 800 grit
  7. Sprayed light coat of clear
  8. Sprayed 2 medium coats of clear
  9. Sat for 3 hrs then wet-sanded with 1500 grit
  10. Buffed out w/ 3M Perfect-It

Here are some pictures from the process:
After VHT
DSC_1194.jpg

After Clear
DSC_1195.jpg

Buffed and Polished
DSC_1214.jpg

DSC_1204.jpg

Sebring, they look nice... Looks exactly like mine except I never sanded mine down.

Heres a picture from Winter (March 09)
dsc03326.jpg

Back