sn0border88's SAS Thread | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

sn0border88's SAS Thread

WARNING: This swap will be longer than bmxking's :eek:

Thanks to tig for a real steal that I couldnt pass up ($50), it all started with a d44 from a 73' Bronco. This means its drum braked, coil sprung with LP housing complete hub to hub with r/a's.

But, its matching width. :D

Its in great shape as far as EB axles are concerned. It has 3.50's which upon inspection are in PERFECT condition. Not one chip on any of the ring gear teeth. Also the rust isnt too bad, its simply surface rust, nothing damaging. Also most of the bolts so far are coming off very well, only breaking a few. Not bad for 31 years of rust.

So far in the plans are yukon 4.88's with full spool or lincon locker. Disk brake conversion VIA junkyard or broncograveyard, rear XJ 8" lift leafs and heimjointed crossover. To complete the swap ill be getting new cromo shafts front and rear with a new 5on5.5 bolt pattern for the 8.8 and 4.88's with a detriot. Also rounding it out are some new rubbers, either 35" boggers or MT/R's on 5on5.5 steelies/beadlocked pending on the DD status upon completion of the project. And, if it is no longer a DD when I finish, the top is coming off. :eek: :thumbsup:

EDIT with final prices

Upon completion it now had a Fullwidth d44/9" with 36" TSL-SX, 5.13 gears spooled rear and many other goodies.

Prices:
Gears D44/9" 5.13: $150 from PBB
D44 Master Install: $109.99 from PORC on pirate
9" Master Install: $89.99 from PORC on pirate
D44 Carrier: $60 Ebay
9" Spool: $129.99 from PORC on pirate
1976 f-150 Highpinion Drum Brake D44 : $85 from Junkyard
D44 Disk Brake Outers: $50 from Junkyard
1978 F-150 9": $50 from Junkyard
5 on 5.5 Rims: $20 from Junkyard
4 36x12.5x15 TSL-SX: $ 250 from Pragon Board
1 36x12.5x15 TSL Radial: $18 from Junkyard
Shocks: $100 from Jeff Daniels Jeeps
D44 Spring Perch: $20 Jeff Daniels Jeeps
U-Bolts (Custom) : $30 from local u-bolt shop
Brake Pads/Caliper: $31.77 National Auto
Leaf Spring Hardware: $48 Jeff Daniels Jeeps
Replacement A4LD: $65 Junkyard
Conversion U-Joint: $25 National Auto
Extend Brakelines: $73 from local brakeline shop
Steel: $56

Without what I paid those who helped, plus the gear installs I have about 1,500 into this.

Scrapping the TTB: PRICELESS

Attachments

• DSC06381.JPG
    DSC06381.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 2,849
  • DSC06382.JPG
    DSC06382.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 2,857
  • DSC06383.JPG
    DSC06383.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 2,839
  • DSC06384.JPG
    DSC06384.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 2,835

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im bored, so here the latest.

I scored Yukon 5.13's for a d44 and 9" off PBB for 170 shipped.

Ive got dibs on the BB 9" with the HD trusses and everything for $60

Ive located a bare housing from a 79 f150 for $50, so I may get that at the end of the month, but I would rather get something that already had the steering, knuckles, spindles and all that.

Im going to start getting together new bushings and stuff for my waggy springs, and also make shackles and rear hangers for em.

Im debating if I will keep my stock springs and use an AAl to make the 37's fit, or I may go to the 63" chevys that everyone seems to love. These may require an AAL or shackles as well, but I know that they perform well.

Im goin with 37x14.00 IROK's on some plain old steelies till I can order some DIY4X4 weld in beadlocks

Im spooling the 9" for sure, and if I feel like it ill spool the 44 as well.

Ive been searching around for the best prices on everything and I pulled together the best stuff and threw it in excel. So far, looks like I can scrape by with 1,800 for the basic swap. Hopefully, Im not to far off with that.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Spooling the front isnt a good idea, throw a locker in it

Yukon 5.13/5.14 Arrived today for the 44/9"

150 Shipped! from a member on PBB.

They are used but very little. Marking compound from setup is still very clear, no damage on any teeth.

updates?

heh, well money is the big thing as always. Next paycheck I would have enough to complete the swap but im trying to hold back. I really want to get a stang but insurance may kill me. If it goes under my name its 2500 and up every 6 months. If it goes under my dad its 600 every 6 mo but I have to keep the explorer insured which is 800 every 6 mo. So its either 1500 or 2500 every 6, plus car payments which would be in the 250-300 per mo range. So, im kinda screwed. I can make the payments but I wouldnt have much for anything else, I have a big snowboard trip to utah and new gear I have to pay for as well as all the other stuff.

/Rant

As for my swap, im trying to find a d44. Once I do, progress should come fairly fast. Though I did buy a 1500W/3000W surge DC/AC inverter. 80 bucks shipped off PBB Now i can bring a microwave, sawzall and grinder to the trails. :D

I can bring a grinder and sawzall to the trails also, they are cordless :)

anyway a good inverter is always handy, good price

Anyone know of a d44 from a f150/bronco for around 150? I cant find anything. Rookie, what does harrys want for above mentioned item?

Progress is kinda halted until I get the axles in hand, then I can start rebuilding them. Decided it would almost be cheaper/the same to go to disks on the 9" than rebuild the drums from ground up. Plans for that are blazer d44 caliper brackets, chevy 1/2 ton caliper, with some ford 5 on 5.5 rotors for a 1/2 ton pickup. Ill need to fab a spacer to sit inbetween the flange and caliper. It turns out the bracket almost bolts onto the BB 9" flange, just needs some whittling of the holes.

Ive also heard of using weld on brackets with 78-85 caddy calipers because of the mechanical e-brake. These are sought after bcause of that and therefore expensive. Also seen that you can use 90's sidekick rotors with 90's loyale calipers (also with mechanical e-brake)

I havent had an ebrake since my superlift, and I im pretty sure I can live without it.

Swampers005.jpg

Possible new meats. 38x15.5x16.5 swampers - $300

Does anyone have experience running 16.5 rims, ive heard of bead issues. thats the only reason im hesitant on getting these.

Tires fell through, sold before I got the chance.

In my downtime ive been modifying my spare d35 knuckles for the d44 outers swap. I figure since ill have the hubs, rotors, spindles and outer shafts anways i may as well bolt it on to see how well it works.

pics to follow.

have you looked into using the 78 Lincon Mark IV calipers and brackets? they had a disc brake 9 inch rear. They have an e-brake setup as well. I found remanufactured calipers for under 100 bucks.

did you hookup those ebrakes to your x? how did they turn out.

sn0border88 said:
did you hookup those ebrakes to your x? how did they turn out.

Never made it that far. I went drums instead. Replaced with all new parts including drums and wheel cyl. for 75 bucks.

Well, I got paid, yes paid, to take away a big bearing 9" today off a f-100 explorer that was converted into a trailer. I just have to get rid of the trash in the trailer as part of the deal. Plus, theres lots of steel to scrap. SO, progress continues. I found a fullwidth d44 with complete everything for 250, 35x14x15 boggers for 500, rims and superwinch hubs for 100 and a d44 3.92 and up carrier for 60.

Life is good.

And im getting a new tow rig soon. :D

You buying that dodge from paragon?

You do know there is NO chance you are ever getting fender coverage or anything close to it right? I suppose it doesnt matter if you get a tow rig

ya, i think im gonna get linds to test drive it sometime since its near her, and if all is well ill go down and take the plunge.

Im not worried about fenders anymore, my axles are fullwidth.

Hmmmm, I need some information.

The axle I got was from a 78' F-100 Explorer that was converted into a trailer. After removing it, I noticed it had previous marks on the tubes and the bolt pattern looked small for 5 on 5.5. Well, it was. It's got a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern, I even test fit an old stock explorer rim I had layin around. And, it was leaf sprung when i removed it, but there are lower coil mounts, and what I guess are upper and lower control arm mounts that have been ground off. It looks like a heavy duty axle with the slightly trussed sides going into the tubes, and was told its a big bearing. its also fullwidth, 66"

Was there ever a ford car with rear 4-link, 5 on 4.5 pattern in a 9"? Im thinkin it was orig from a car ten put under the trailer.

pics tommorow.

Back