SNJ's Rig (full build progress thread) | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SNJ's Rig (full build progress thread)

yea, the white one that was the 94, wich was actually the one i had purchased first, and draged back from syracuse

it wasnt insured so theres nothing comin my way for it

i mean its not like it was really a truck anymore, i had taken 90% of the good **** off of it, but still, it was worth somethin, even if just as spares, and it was mine, ya know...

dosnt even run? hell it didnt even have a drive line, thats whats curently makin the black and silver one move

to the best of my knowledge the town didnt take it. it was parked infront of a body shop for christ sakes. and it had a tarp over it untill someone stole that recently.

so much for havin spare axles.... and glass..... and intermitant wipers..... :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

alright, didnt quite get everything done i wanted to today, but my trans has 2 new servos in it now, and while i didnt have enough time to get her down and drive her, i appear to not be leaking :D
i will say that she fought me every step of the way getin them out though

i also now have everything i need to run all new breathers, and finish the snorkel, so thats gonna be where we head tomorow

oh, and do i realy need to have an exhaust... it sounds insane running open headers in a closed garage :D

actually have some visable progress today, got the snorkle further along, but didnt have time to finish it

IMG_3113.jpg

IMG_3117.jpg

tomorow ill get the flex tube conections sealed and button that up

also ran all new breather tubes for everything,.... good thing to, as the rear axle breather had rotted bad enough it had a hole in it

IMG_3106.jpg

IMG_3110-1.jpg

IMG_3108.jpg

ran everything to one central location... im not 100% sure why, but it seemed like a good ideaq in my head, so i went for it

aparently i was a lil pic happy.... also started to fix soem of the rust damage to the rear of the truck, but ill post up on that with a before and after once i get it all wraped up

alright, im off to go take 4 ASEs.... someone shoot me...

Oh my god your working on the truck :rolleyes:
what the hell happen did hell freeze over or you must of not had anything to do!

bein out of work for a few days will do that to ya

well i can confirm that i fixed the trans leak, got to take it for a drive for a bit tonight. put somethin to the tune of 10 miles on, found no fluid leaks. she ran a little on the cold side, bout 1/3 of the way up the temp gauge, but its flipin cold out so im not all that woried.

Took forever to burn all the trans fluid off of the y pipe ( i realy made a mess doin that job) and good god did that smell

so far its been startin right up, and hasnt given me any cause for concern.

finished the snorkle, and got the front fenders and what not on

IMG_3125.jpg

IMG_3132.jpg

IMG_3120.jpg

IMG_3121.jpg

Oh, hey, anyone have a door lock cylinder retainer clip lying around... one of mine has gone missing....

hmmm aparently theres gonna be no love for my snorkle thread... oh well...

im really turning this thread into a blog, arent i.... anyway

i get a few days off next week for the holiday an imma try and get the body repairs wraped up and get some paint on her.
if all goes acording to plan then im gonna be lookin to get it all leagal so i can actually drive the damn thing again...

once that hapens im not gonna be quite ready for my stage 2 plans yet, but im not gonna stand for these itty bitty tires anylonger than that, so does anyone (preferably more or less local) have some 31s lyin around that theyd be wilin to part with on the cheap?

oh, and im still missing a door lock cylinder retainer clip

hmmm aparently theres gonna be no love for my snorkle thread... oh well...

im really turning this thread into a blog, arent i.... anyway

i get a few days off next week for the holiday an imma try and get the body repairs wraped up and get some paint on her.
if all goes acording to plan then im gonna be lookin to get it all leagal so i can actually drive the damn thing again...

once that hapens im not gonna be quite ready for my stage 2 plans yet, but im not gonna stand for these itty bitty tires anylonger than that, so does anyone (preferably more or less local) have some 31s lyin around that theyd be wilin to part with on the cheap?

oh, and im still missing a door lock cylinder retainer clip

You promise to come out to Rook's this weekend and I'll bring you one ;) Oh, and I'll keep an eye out for 31's!

Quite a busy weekend i had... spent somethin to the tune of 20 hrs workin on her over the last 2 days... im just gonna let the pictures speak for themselves though :D

IMG_3150.jpg

IMG_3156.jpg

IMG_3152.jpg

IMG_3161.jpg

IMG_3169.jpg

IMG_3166.jpg

oh, and as a side not, heres a good reminder for working safely... i droped the rear bumper on my foot, son of a ***** cut right throuth my boot, pretty sure if the werent saftey toe boots id have made a trip to the hospital

IMG_3145.jpg

thx guys

a lift is comin, but i dont want to do it till i can re-gear for bigger meats and lock at least the rear... that other axle of mine needs brakes too
unfortuneately all that is gonna be a bit further off then i had initially hoped, but such is life

in the mean time i think well adopt a "phase" style plan

so phase one will be some 31s... and maby some manual hubs while i wait for everything else to fall into place for makin a real rig out of this thing

how long did it take to mask the emblem?

What's the green color? I'm guessing Olive Drab, but is there another name or shade that you used?

I think it's called "baby poop" :eek:

Sorry I didn't reply to your text message, Jay... it's really hard to beat the depression and actually get out of bed lately :/ But now that I'm actually away from the Sealy Posturpedic of Doom, I have to admit that I do believe you're an official Jersey redneck now :D I can see soccer moms jumping the curb en masse to escape the camo beast, LOL. Nice to see her looking like a real Explorer! :thumbsup:

Oh, and that spare axle of yours is disc, yes? Jack's rear discs/pads/e-drum shoes are still at more than 3/4 life if you want them for your X-mas present.

how long did it take to mask the emblem?

shh, dont tell anyone, i cheated. :cool:
i didnt mask it, i instead intentionally didnt surface prep the chrome emblim, sprayed over it, and then scraped the paint off the chrome. took a couple of minutes, but was way easier than maskin that off

I used Krylon "olive" "brown" and "black" from their ultra flat camouflage line
i018636sn02.jpg

The olive is actually a verry nice color. its verry close to WWII era Olive Drab. wich in my mind is the way OD should be

Spas, all things considered its understandable...
although then again if i had a posturepeedic im pretty sure my ass'd be parked in it watchin cartoonies all day

yea, iz's old axle is disc. i wont say no to the brakes, but i dont want to ask you to pull anything off of him either, so i will leave that at yor discression, cool?

and it reallly has been a long time since she was roadworthey... im like all kinds of ticked that it is again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wait....

what Explorer? I .. I dont see an Explorer. Is it camo or something?

Back