Snow mode rear end "sway"

SCHLAKER

Reaction score
City, State
MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi
I have driven my 2014 Explorer a few times in the snow this year, and when ever I am in Snow Mode, on a snowy, or slippery road, the rear end feels like it is swaying back and forth when I'm at speeds higher than 20 or 30 MPH. When I say Sway, I mean to the point where I feel the need to counter steer. A lot like towing a trailor without enough tongue weight kinda sway. All this is as I'm driving down a straight road, and trying to drive straight. The tires still seem like they have plenty of tread, but the brand is escaping me at the moment. It has 255/50 R20 tires.

I used to race, and I've learned to trust my butt feeling in the seat, If you've raced or done any performance driving, you know what I mean. However, not only do I feel it in my butt, the swaying is more than body roll. The rear end is moving around to the point where I do need to counter steer.

It almost feels like the rear wheels are toe out, and as soon as the body rolls to that wheel, it puts more weight on it and drive the rear of the truck that direction.

I hope I'm not too confusing, but has anyone else experience this before?

Thanks in advance,
Chad

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Chad.:wave:
I really can't comment on what your are experiencing. Although I've driven on many snow covered roads in my 2011 Explorer and now in my 2017 Ex. (just had about 8" dumped overnight), I have only used 'Snow' mode once and that was to plow my way through a snow bank that the plow had left. Other than that, I always use 'Normal'. I don't recall your particular issue being raised here before. I'm sure that now it has been brought up, others will be chiming in soon.
Please add the trim of your Explorer to your profile so appears in the margin. That can be useful info at times. Thanks.

Peter

Welcome fellow Minnesotan.

Like Peter, I have not noticed it. I was out early(ish) Sunday AM to run a few errands and I didn't notice anything like you describe. I was using Snow mode most of the time and much of my driving was on unplowed streets(~5" of snow). I can't say I was really paying attention to it though. I have the factory Hankook tires.

Does it do it in other modes as well, or just snow?

So far I've only been driving it in snow mode. And it doesn't really matter how much snow, just a slippery surface. I believe mine tires are the factory Hancooks as well

I've tried all modes in snow and basically what you are feeling is simply the affect of a rear wheel drive vehicle, as the power distribution is now 60/40 or 50/50...I will have to check the AWD display today when I get back on the road.

No It doesn't feel like that. Its actively swaying side to side in the rear end on or off the gas.
This is my wife's daily. Mine is a BMW X3. I can control, to a point my center diff in my BMW and lock it at 50/50. I know one is 4wd and the other is AWD, but this is something completely different.

I think I'm going to rotate the tires after work, and see if that changes anything. I'd still like to hear if a service tech has run across this before as well

As an aside, dedicated Winter tires would probably make a big difference.;)

Peter

I'm going to look in to tires. Although the whole point of asking here was to not just go throwing money at it and hoping it drives better.

if your tires are worn evenly and not worn out , try filling it with gas, it might help it stay planted a little better. In Normal mode I think it applies power mostly to the front so the rear is just along for the ride a little more. If it still feels the same I would buy winter tires, it also cuts down wear on your all season tires by rotating them in every season.

I must concur with Peter on this, we have had snow locally for over a week now and I have done lots of driving on icy roads and snow covered side roads. Same as Peter, I drive in normal mode in the snow because the Ford AWD system is so good at disseminating power to the wheels when it senses slip.

I used snow mode infrequently on some hills and thats it.

Something is going on weird with your case because I have been very impressed over the years with the Explorers AWD system in the snow even while running stock OEM All Season Hankook tires.

Adding 4 dedicated snow tires makes these vehicles amazing in the snow.

Hi
I have driven my 2014 Explorer a few times in the snow this year, and when ever I am in Snow Mode, on a snowy, or slippery road, the rear end feels like it is swaying back and forth when I'm at speeds higher than 20 or 30 MPH. When I say Sway, I mean to the point where I feel the need to counter steer. A lot like towing a trailor without enough tongue weight kinda sway. All this is as I'm driving down a straight road, and trying to drive straight. The tires still seem like they have plenty of tread, but the brand is escaping me at the moment. It has 255/50 R20 tires.

I used to race, and I've learned to trust my butt feeling in the seat, If you've raced or done any performance driving, you know what I mean. However, not only do I feel it in my butt, the swaying is more than body roll. The rear end is moving around to the point where I do need to counter steer.

It almost feels like the rear wheels are toe out, and as soon as the body rolls to that wheel, it puts more weight on it and drive the rear of the truck that direction.

Thanks in advance,
Chad
Hi
Saturday night I also was driving in the snow. Mostly 45-50. Hwy 61 on a windblown lane. Where the snow covered the road I too felt the sway. It's very slight but steady when on the gas. I noticed lifting the gas it would not be there. It was only on slick road. It never felt unsafe but it sure was strange, unexpected. I'm wondering if there is a speed the snow mode should not be used in. It was there but not just the back wheels. Felt like all four were changing somehow.

This is a big car. Without dedicated winters, you'll be sliding around. I have a 2017 Sport with new winters on them, and I'm driving around confidently, switching to snow mode whenever I'm on packed icy snow or un-plowed back roads. Was able to go up and down fairly steep side streets without slipping (incidentally to bypass an accident). There was a car that clearly didn't have winter tires that couldn't control his hill descent and was fishtailing in slow motion and another car that slid into an intersection against a red light.

That said, after test driving Audi Quattros SQ5 & Q7 before I bought the Explorer, I would consider Ford's AWD to be average at slip detection and clunky at shifting with occasional sudden power lags and surges. Basically not as good as Audi by a long shot. Once I took a left turn from a side street to a main street in wet conditions and had to goose it, and I slightly fish-tailed. That would have never happened in an Audi. In snow conditions, the Ford AWD system isn't good enough to prevent you from spinning the tires if you accelerate too fast, even in snow mode.

I'm not knocking Ford, seeing I bought one, but transmission and AWD is definitely not its strongest suit. By far, Ford holds much greater bang-for-the-buck purchase value, lower maintenance costs, and has some other advantages too over the German brands such as superior cargo & cubby space. So I'm not biased, I'm just being honest with the tradeoffs.

Once I took a left turn from a side street to a main street in wet conditions and had to goose it, and I slightly fish-tailed.
weird for a primarily front wheel drive vhicle

I had search hard to find this post, I figured I
was the only one.
I have 2017 xlt and it handles like crap . I seriously think something is wrong and if I had purchased it used I would say it was wrecked and the vehicle is tweaked. It's really when you have mixed traction like spotty snow covered with exposed pavement.
Solid hard pack snow or new snow you dont notice it much.
It darts back and forth starting in the rear end. Almost like you give 2 wheel drive truck gas and break ass end loose slightly and then let up and it grabs again. But its constant and both ways. You can hold the steering wheel straight and your body will be jerked on both directions as it passes over the dry road spots and hooks up. Passenger side to drivers side motion. It was so bad I purchased new tires thinking that was it. New tires did help but it's still there.
My wife described it as the rear wheel lug nuts were all loose. She new takes my 150 to work casue this explorer handles terrible. Why does my pick up in 2 wheel drive handle like a dream and this explorer is horrible will not go down a road mixed snow covered without you looking like your driving a rally car?
I am really not sure, is it the wide tires? 255/50/20 is what is on there..
It's like the rear end is at a different speed and that cant happen I know but we just had to put a new rear end in it at 38K miles so maybe the rear axle is not bolted up if I speak sarcastically.
It is worse when you have patchy hard packed mixed with exposed dry pavement. Like when you have the wagon wheel tracks down the road and everything else is covered, You would think it would be better when you have some tires on dry road but that's when it darts the most. I bet people following me are like , look at the vehicle move side to side.
Wide profile tires or something else?

I've been driving the 17' Sport for 2.5 years now and even with dedicated winters, have had some unexpected slips. I'm not happy with the slow traction control response. It's noticeably inferior to any of the German brands. The Explorer feels like the center mass high a little higher than normal (top heavy). Granted, I sometimes have an over weight limit roof container, so I have to be a little more careful. The time it happened, I had over 100 pounds up top, when it's limited to a ridiculously low 45lbs because I have a sunroof. But certainly a contributing factor.

Sudden torque can be deadly at the wrong time. In particular, going uphill on a steeper incline often yields a harsh downshift. I've learned to expect it and accelerate slower than normal so I don't break it. Because that thunk is nasty, and I happen to have said hill on my regular commute home.

But snow mode is decent at preventing fast changes in torque. You get used to it, and the Explorer is an excellent value for what you get. But seriously, they could benefit from better throttle programming.

was the only one.
I have 2017 xlt and it handles like crap . I seriously think something is wrong and if I had purchased it used I would say it was wrecked and the vehicle is tweaked. It's really when you have mixed traction like spotty snow covered with exposed pavement.
Solid hard pack snow or new snow you dont notice it much..................

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I'm guessing you're using 3-season tires instead of dedicated Winter tires. That might explain some of what you're experiencing. Winter tires aren't perfect but a great deal better. I always use Winter tires and have never experienced what you described. Also, I mostly use 'Normal' in Winter driving whether there is snow or not. Without having the proper tires on the vehicle it is hard to say if you may have another issue. 3-season tires begin to lose traction at 45 F since the rubber begins to harden and that will affect their traction.

Peter

was the only one.
Solid hard pack snow or new snow you dont notice it much.
It darts back and forth starting in the rear end. Almost like you give 2 wheel drive truck gas and break ass end loose slightly and then let up and it grabs again. But its constant and both ways. You can hold the steering wheel straight and your body will be jerked on both directions as it passes over the dry road spots and hooks up. Passenger side to drivers side motion. It was so bad I purchased new tires thinking that was it. New tires did help but it's still there.
My wife described it as the rear wheel lug nuts were all loose. She new takes my 150 to work casue this explorer handles terrible. Why does my pick up in 2 wheel drive handle like a dream and this explorer is horrible will not go down a road mixed snow covered without you looking like your driving a rally car?
I am really not sure, is it the wide tires? 255/50/20 is what is on there..
It's like the rear end is at a different speed and that cant happen I know but we just had to put a new rear end in it at 38K miles so maybe the rear axle is not bolted up if I speak sarcastically.
It is worse when you have patchy hard packed mixed with exposed dry pavement. Like when you have the wagon wheel tracks down the road and everything else is covered, You would think it would be better when you have some tires on dry road but that's when it darts the most. I bet people following me are like , look at the vehicle move side to side.
Wide profile tires or something else?

Start simple how old are your tires? I had the factory Hankocks on mine the first year in the snow for one drive into the mountains of PA. When I got back to Ohio I replaced them with dedicated snow tires and have not had any issues with sliding or spinning. I don't need to use snow mode even in Cleveland OH where we get losts of the white stuff. The wider tires may make a difference but the style of the tire makes the most difference. If you get a lot of snow do yourself a big favour and buy snow tires. and swap them when required.

Thanks, I have all season tires on now, brand new but yes I think if we keep this I will have to purchase winter tires next season.

Hi

Thanks in advance,
Chad
Hi there just wondering what the fix was. As I’m experiencing exactly what you describe.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I purchased new all season's but the root problem is still there. 2 things, it's a explorer issue with the design and tire width or there is something wrong in rear end.

After I installed new tires it did handle better in the most recent snow storm but why can my 2017 F150 drive across an slick/icy overpass and no flinch in 2 wheel drive but when I did it in the explorer I am sawing the wheel as soon as the tires hit the other side. The vehicle is already getting out of shape.
My theory is being I already had to have a new rear end put in my 2017 explorer that maybe there is slight wheel drag on the rear end/tires from something in transfer case maybe.
It's a stretch but why would any time the wheels get on slippery surface does the rear end start to move around? Fresh deeper snow not as noticable but hard packed and ice my 150 in 2 wheel drive is much better that the XLT in all wheel , either winter or normal mode. Still handles like back tires have e brake applied.

My next step is 4 wheel alignment to rule that out.

Lots of police use the explorer by me so I have hard time believing they all handle this bad.

Back