so SLOW | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

so SLOW

I've had 2 SOHC trucks, a 4WD with 4:10s, which was a BLAST to drive, that truck would run with any V8 I've ever had, and it's becoming a V8, so I'll be able to say what feels faster. I also had a 01 XLT 4.0 SOHC with 3.55, that truck was a dog taking off, it'd assume spin the tire as go, but at 60 it'd barely break 2K RPMs, it sat at like 1,700, and on the highway on a kickdown it would run off speed wise, I have no doubts that was my best truck for highway driving. Gearing makes a lot of difference.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I skimmed through and noticed no one asked you this:

Was the transmission rebuilt from the ground up or replaced with a different one which may have been used with a different axle ratio?

Don't think so. I can't say for sure. The clutch was done about 2 years ago from the records that came with it & LUK parts were used.

Might want to look into it. If the trans is using after market gearing, they may not be the correct ones that the orginal had and therefore you are missing the motors power/torque range.

^ AFAIK, there is no transmission difference for which rear end differential ratio there was? I suppose it's possible if someone rebuilt the tranny with different gears but it would seem unusual?

I mean even if it were programmed as shift points based on the differential ratio, that wouldn't change since the diff didn't.

Edit: The link below is for reference only.

Ford 5R55E transmission

Don't know how accurate that is but if any of those gear ratios was changed (manual or automatic) then you can have problems. Any trans that is built, its built for a specific engine horsepower and torque.

After re-reading the first post, (and I might be saying this backwards) I say the trans was stuff with taller gears which require more horsepower to turn them.

I really don't want to hijack this thread. Let's what for the OP to check a few things before this part of the conversation continues.

It's most likely the OP is short shifting the trans and not getting the SOHC into it's best power band. Run it up closer to 5000rpm and it'll move well. I use enough throttle often with my 302 to hit 4000-5000rpm many times a day, typical is 3500rpm for shifts.

I use enough throttle often with my 302 to hit 4000-5000rpm many times a day, typical is 3500rpm for shifts.

lol, you are the mailman from hell... :p

Not sure if I've ever hit 5K in mine over the last 20 years. Okay I take it back, there are times on snow and ice, where I'm just goofing around... but I've never needed to.

The OP has a 5 speed MANUAL transmission.

lol, you are the mailman from hell... :p

Not sure if I've ever hit 5K in mine over the last 20 years. Okay I take it back, there are times on snow and ice, where I'm just goofing around... but I've never needed to.
I never drive my 5.0 without bouncing it off the rev limiter. It doesn’t hurt anything, that’s why it’s there.

Also, I’m near certain the transmission was rebuilt with the appropriate gears. More than likely very few, if any, of the gearsets were changed, usually a manual transmission rebuild is more the bearings, bushings, and synchros.

Ive edit my post to state the link is for reference only.

I hope that the OP finds the problem and fixes it.

It's a manual trans. There should only be the M5OD & the M5OD HD ones that would fit. I don't think I heard of different gearing for these. With 95K miles when I bought it & the condition I doubt the trans was rebuilt. I'm going to run the Forscan on it this weekend & see if anything is up.

There are a few revisions of the M50D. R1s, R2s and both those are found in HD versions as well.

After a quick search, it seems they all came with different trans gear ratios. I'm not sure if they are interchangeable at the bell housing but to me, you can yank the gears out and stuff them into another one.

Is that the case with your problem...unsure. I'm just saying that it may be possible a rebuild was done using a donor trans that had different gearing.

For what it's worth, we had a V6 minivan. When my daughter was in college she borrowed it to take her stuff back to school one Fall. When she brought the van back she complained that it had no power. I test drove it and had to agree with her. It ran okay (no misses or flat spots) but it hardly wanted to go above 45 MPH. It turned out a baffle had broken free inside of the replacement Midas muffler it had and was blocking the exhaust flow. A clogged cat would have had the same effect. Just something to look at.

I'm not buying the wrong trans gears theory, although I guess anything is possible.

Agreed. Clogged exhaust. A good exhaust shop will check the exhaust flow for no to little charge.

You might try Boca Raton Mufflers, google maps shows a mom and pop appearing shop, with no website.

Correct, it's just a theory. I may be pushing it a bit hard and making sound like that is the problem, but I really was just pointing out that it is possible to change trans gear ratios.

It could be simple as a getiing some bad fuel.
Air filter clogged. Spark plug and/wires are fouled.

Always start the easiest (hopefully cheapest) route first.

Vids....
1st is 2.5-5. At the end I'm pulling in 5th gear.
2nd is from a stop 1-3, you can see how 2nd gear revs & speed just doesn't seem to move very fast.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the vids.

I use my phone 90% of the time and most forums default to a simple view version. So I switched it over to desk top view to look at your signature. Is the X is question the one in your signature? If so you have after market exhaust that may have failed.

I assume its lifted as well. What size tires you have on it? Big tires with highway gearing (3.55/3.73) will require a lot of power to move and therefore seem grossly underpowered.

Also the videos don't provide enough information to determine a solution. You may have been a bit light on the throttle but other than that, sounds fine on my speakers.

Back