Sohc 4.0 06 ex 303,000 do you think I should get a new motor or fix stock | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sohc 4.0 06 ex 303,000 do you think I should get a new motor or fix stock

What should I do

• Love and cherish the engine

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Use it for target practice or maybe a boat anchor

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
We all have our opinion

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

KMG-
I am pretty sure the trannies and exhausts are different between v6 and v8, spent many hours under both of hours, too much hassle anyway.
Even the v8's are getting cheaper every day so that would be easier just getting a decent v8.

gen 3 and gen4 are slightly different, you have gen4's with 6speed, gen3 is 5speed, same tranny is v6 and v8 but programing is different.
exhaust is same but v8 is 2 1/2 inch v6 is 2 1/4 at Y pipe, after Y pipe it is the same
I did a v8 swap, biggest problem was the pats key system,

gen 3 and gen4 are slightly different, you have gen4's with 6speed, gen3 is 5speed, same tranny is v6 and v8 but programing is different.
exhaust is same but v8 is 2 1/2 inch v6 is 2 1/4 at Y pipe, after Y pipe it is the same
I did a v8 swap, biggest problem was the pats key system,
This is the first time I've heard that the 4th gen 4.0 v6 has a six-speed trans. I believe it has the same 5R55S 5-speed trans as the gen 3.

KMG -

Now I am intrigued. On what model year did you swap v6 with v8. That's got to be super interesting. Did you get it to work in the end ?

What year was the donor and recipient ? I thought about doing it on our v6 since I have 4.6 motor sitting in my garage

PS: the 4.0 v6 SOHC / 5R55S combo was unchanged from around 2000 to 2010, no v6 had 6 speed.

Thanks

v8 has 6 speed in gen 4, sorry I did not specify

I did a v8 swap in a 2005, I'm driving it now.
from the v8 car I used the motor and trans, steering shaft, abs module, pcm, cylinder lock, both cars were advance trac
v8 car had clogged cats, so I cut off the flanges where it connects to the exhaust manifold and welded them to the v6 Y pipe.
both cars had 3.73 rears axle code 46 if I remember correctly
I'm not certain you can use v6 tranny with v8 they are both 5 speeds but the electronics may not match up
I was thrown off that I had to have the ABS module match the PCM, it threw a code stating vin mismatch

overall not a bad job to do, better than fixing a 4.0l which I have done, and did not replace the jackshaft bearings only to put the engine back in and have low oil pressure, have to pull the engine out again and put in new jack shaft bearings which fixed the oil pressure issue

ok, now I get it.

You did the 2005 swap. Up to that year v6 and v8 in 3rd gen used almost same tranny: 5R55S vs 5R55W.

This is 4th gen forum and the v8's use 6 speed trannies while the v6 stayed with the same 5R55S. That's why it would be more complex to do that swap on 06-10 models. Also the transfer cases are different.

Back