SOHC Coolant leak (dreaded housing leak or just thermostat oring)? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SOHC Coolant leak (dreaded housing leak or just thermostat oring)?

Crunchy

Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ranger 03 XLT 4L SOHC 2wd
I have been noticing small spots of coolant on my driveway. I couldn't find any leaks on my engine, so I got some UV flourescent dye, and put it in my radiator to try to find it.

I found where its coming from, need to know whats the exact source.

This is the top of my thermostat housing with a UV light shining on it. It seems to show up on the top of the flat part, and in this seam shown. Is this where the 2 pieces of the housing come together which holds the thermostat?

It might be the 2 sensors, but I don't think so, its never wet around them unless the whoe top is wet, and it dries up not too long after The only liquid coolant around there is where the liquid has collected in that little notch circled in green.

Specs: 2003 4.0 SOHC, 120k miles. Its not leaking bad enough to add coolant, but ts enough to leak a spot on my driveway.

Never changed the thermostat ever. I did do a coolant change last year.

Ohh, its worse when its really cold outside, like -20C or colder.

DSC_2336_zpsabdfac37.jpg

DSC_2349_zps8651ad36-1.jpg

DSC_2343_zps322ecdb3.jpg

DSC_2344_zps6a6a253a.jpg

DSC_2345_zpse90b9235.jpg

The notorious lower thermostat housing splitting at it's sonically welded seams.
Basic repair RH144 lower housing, DY1004 ECT sensor, SW6146 gauge sender OR
replacement o-rings, upper and lower seals. Thermostat and bypass hose optional.

EDIT- Check the fit/seal of the old sensors in the new housing before buying them.

http://bengrosser.com/howto/fordthermostat/

Back