• Register Today It's free!

SOHC>OHV or <

Jarubell

Reaction score
City, State
Was Winnipeg, Manitoba now Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
RIP 92 XLT
Well, I'm starting to look for an Explorer and would love to find a second gen V8 but it looks like that is just a dream. Nothing like that around here, only a couple of v6s, one with out reverse and one the engine will not turn. So my question is, which version of the 4 litre is better?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As long as your not a leadfoot and have to have power and drive 100mph every where you go, I'd have to say the OHV, partly because I own one ;) and partly because it honest to goodness has proven to be way more reliable than the SOHC. But that argument will go on foreeever...

Though IF I were you (i see you live in Canada so I don't know how rare Explorers are in your area) I think you should wait and see if a later model V8 goes up for sale ('99-'01), that way you get reliability AND power at about the same MPGs as both V6's.

The SOHC is a more powerful motor but is notorious for timing chain failure. The OHV is not as powerful but will last past 200k with proper maintenance and is not really prone to any common catastrophic failures.

Thanks guys.

Brandon, I'm wishing exactly what you suggested, 99-01 V8, not much around here.

But then you get to drive everyday scared to death that your gonna get the rattle of death. I would choose the OHV anyday. Theyre not all that slow, but they are damn bulletproof.

If you can, I would say wait on it, until a V8 pops up, or find one and make the drive to it. I wouldnt buy another V6 Expo in my life after having my V8.

I would say OHV but if you find a cheap sohc they are good motors.do you plan on any motors mods or any mods?

I have driven both the sohc and the ohv. The sohc blow the ohv away when it comes to power. THe ohv is probably better for reliability but the sohc can still take you a long ways if properly cared for. If the sohc doesnt show any signs of timing chain failure i would not hesitate to buy one.

Morning,

my wife and me we have had owned some Explorers over the last 20 years, V6 and V8. The OHV was a nice engine with the A4LD. Compared to SOHC the OHV has a little more low end torque whereas the SOHC has better midrange torque.

From maintenance angle of view the OHV is easier, no yards of timing chains that can become a real prob when the vehicle is from the mid or late 90s.

Better for what?

The 4.0L OHV is "better" if you like pushrod engines, low end torque, solid reliability, cheap parts, or don't want to do an engine swap in a 91-96 Explorer, or get something with a 4.0L OHV in it for cheeeeap.

The 4.0L SOHC is "better" if you like overhead cam motors, large heads, a wide powerband, decent mileage, funny timing chain noises, or prefer the 98+ Explorers, or just get one with a 4.0L SOHC in it for cheap.

As for "best"...that might go to the 4.3L stroker variant of either.

King_Shortblock_4_rs.jpg

I still going to hold out for an V8. As for engine mods, well I never really thought about that except for the air intake.

Thanks guys!

Back