• Register Today It's free!

SOHC Rough Start

lee2489

Reaction score
City, State
Greenville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Limited 5.0
My 2004 Ranger with a SOHC is having some trouble starting. I did some searching and couldn't really find anything. Could this be the starter going out?
Has anyone else had similar problems?

That depends on the exact symptoms. My 02 just began having a hard to start problem after setting for a while and it turned out to be the fuel pressure check valve in the fuel pump. I will be replacing the fuel pump this weekend.

If it is cranking over well but not firing, the starter is not the problem.

yeah, i guess it's not the starter. it's like it isn't getting gas. so i guess the fuel pump. could the fuel filter be a possibility too?

A restricted fuel filter should not cause a start problem. It would cause loss of power under load.

Try cycling the ignition switch several times before trying to start it. Just turn it to the 'on' position for a couple seconds, without engaging the starter, then switching to off and repeat about four times. This will build up fuel pressure. If it starts right up after that, you most likely have a check valve in the fuel pump that is not working properly. That is the quick check method. You can also check the fuel pressure to see if it bleeds of after the ignition is turned off.

Back