• Register Today It's free!

SOHC Thermostat Housing...

Robman

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Sport 4.0L OHV 5spd
I keep a 2000 4L SOHC sport 4x4 on the back burner as a spare vehicle, it's got 194 000kms on it and of course has the start up rattle.

I took it for a short warm up drive today which I do with all my vehicles that don't see regular road use and after a short time started to smell antifreeze and belt started to slip causing my voltage gauge to read very low.

I haven't looked into it very far yet as I've just popped the hood and there's coolant everywhere but I remember something about the thermostat housing on these things being crappy, can anybody elaborate on what likely went wrong with the housing? Thanks and btw: I now have another reason to hate the SOHC.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thankyou for the input, however I just found the problem, originally I couldn't see where it was leaking out because all the coolant had already drained.

There's a very short hose, maybe 3 inches long that connects the lower part of the thermostat housing to the water pump and it bulged and blew a hole. It's in a very inconvenient spot too, lol.
I'll grab a new thermostat while I'm at it.

The OHV design even just for this part seems to be much more reliably designed.

Oh yeah, that EVIL and short water pump bypass hose. Knuckle scraper, constant tension OE hose clamps are no fun.
Use a bent needle nose plier if you have one. Take your time, many have replaced it with a "few" four letter words. GL

Well, after taking the intake/airbox tube and idler pully/belt off I managed to get the old hose out(in pieces) so there's job 1 complete. When I get the new hose I think it's going to be a pain still as there's very little clearance between the water pump outlet and the lower thermostat housing, maybe 3/4 of an inch to get the hose in and on.

You might as well plan on replacing the housing too, they don't approve of being taken off and put back in old age and when mine failed I had to remove the housing, and then replace it 200 miles later.

Back