SOHC V6 Timing Chain Saga | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SOHC V6 Timing Chain Saga

P280410_2132.jpg

ahhhh that's how ya do it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Preparing for cleaning

Jakee shamed me into cleaning my engine so I spent more than an hour today covering or plugging all of the openings with plastic and wrapping the electrical connectors with plastic in preparation for spraying the engine with a degreaser. My handiwork is shown in the photo below.
Plugged.jpg

I sprayed the engine with degreaser and then hosed it off and blew away the water puddles with a leaf blower. I may have to clean the block a second time before painting it.

has anyone had a problem with the timing chain componets on a 2006+? I have a nasty start up noise, then a rattle at 2500-3500 rpm until the vehicle has been driven for a while.

It sounds exactly like my 98 did, Im just surprised that this could be the same problem 8 years later...

The cam chain tensioners are the same design, with a spring inside to supplement the oil pressure. When those get weak then the chain runs more loose, thus the noise. That's for the SOHC V6, the V8 SOHC has a better, different tensioning system.

Rear guide assembly

has anyone had a problem with the timing chain componets on a 2006+? I have a nasty start up noise, then a rattle at 2500-3500 rpm until the vehicle has been driven for a while.

It sounds exactly like my 98 did, Im just surprised that this could be the same problem 8 years later...

Unfortunately, the traction side of the rear guide assembly still has no metal backing to prevent it from fracturing and falling to pieces. You might try to localize the rattle source with a mechanic's stethoscope or a short length of flexible hose. I tried using both but was unsuccessful because the rattling seems to echo around the engine.

How many miles are on your odometer? If more than 75,000 you may want to replace the front and rear hydraulic tensioners.

The cam chain tensioners are the same design, with a spring inside to supplement the oil pressure. When those get weak then the chain runs more loose, thus the noise. That's for the SOHC V6, the V8 SOHC has a better, different tensioning system.

What a shame. I guess that IS my issue then.

Unfortunately, the traction side of the rear guide assembly still has no metal backing to prevent it from fracturing and falling to pieces. You might try to localize the rattle source with a mechanic's stethoscope or a short length of flexible hose. I tried using both but was unsuccessful because the rattling seems to echo around the engine.

How many miles are on your odometer? If more than 75,000 you may want to replace the front and rear hydraulic tensioners.

I only have 39,000 miles on it. I have an esp, so I'll get my money's worth on that I guess!

That's ridiculous to happen at that low of miles....

Caution: radiator fan blade

I advise everyone to periodically inspect their radiator cooling fan blade for cracks. See the photos below for the condition of mine.

Fan1.jpg

Fan2.jpg

Fan3.jpg

I received a replacement used fan blade (in good condition) purchased from eBay this afternoon.

Yikes! Had it been making any unusual noise or louder than normal?

Good idea Dale! Mine also had cracks throughout it.

Probably since I bought it

Yikes! Had it been making any unusual noise or louder than normal?

I suspect the cracks have been there since I bought the vehicle a year ago. I'm surprised I didn't notice them when I replaced the radiator. Considering all the times I've approached engine red line while testing my custom tune I guess I've been lucky the fan held together. Thanks to the viscous clutch.

The engine looks way better now; a lot more photogenic. Good work.

Ford blue

The engine looks way better now; a lot more photogenic. Good work.

Wait till you see the Ford Blue block and the "aluminum" exhaust manifolds. It may not run when I get the engine installed, but it will definitely look better.

Are you going to use Eastwoods cast iron coatings?

Wait till you see the Ford Blue block and the "aluminum" exhaust manifolds. It may not run when I get the engine installed, but it will definitely look better.

I have wondered how that would look but I didn't order it yet...Or what are you going to use to coat the manifolds if not using Eastwoods?

Just evaluating the color

I have wondered how that would look but I didn't order it yet...Or what are you going to use to coat the manifolds if not using Eastwoods?

I just wanted to see how the aluminum color looked and didn't want to delay installing the engine any longer so I sprayed the exhaust manifolds with VHT Flame Proof paint. I know it won't last so I didn't even bother to scrape the rust off the manifolds. If I decide I like the effect then I'll do it right when I rebuild my engine.

I tried some extreme high heat rustoleum this weekend. Let it dry good then baked it at (supposed to be 300 for 30 minutes the first time) at 450 for 30 minutes....everything went well; let it cool, then you're supposed to bake at 400 for 30 minutes the second time and I went 500 for thirty minutes. Let it cool and waalllaaa - the best looking cracked up pc of crap you've ever saw. (paint cracked)

If I would have followed the instructions it probably would have turned okay but I need to send my stuff to a professional.

Painting completed

I finished painting the engine block and the exhaust manifolds. The results are shown below.
PaintL.jpg

PaintR.jpg

I may buff the aluminum parts (valve covers, front timing cover, block cradle and heads) when I rebuild the engine.

WOW.......Nice!

I'm going to do the same.

CJ

That's a beautiful site :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like the Boy blue color then that GM girlish orange:D

Back